We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

Hi

Did anybody use Cruise and Maritime voyages? We are looking at the Baltic Capitals & St. Petersburg cruise on their Marco Polo ship.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

408 replies to this topic
Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

Hi 4dimad

I took a 4 day Christmas market cruise with them in December.

I chose this ship because they do some really nice trips, and as I live within half an hour from the cruise terminal I wanted to try it out to see whether I liked it.

We had a 'deluxe outside cabin'- deluxe is their terminology not mine. Our particular cabin had fixed twin beds, but they're not all like that. The cabin was very dated, and the floor sloped, but the beds were uber comfortable and the t.v. worked :-)

The public spaces are very nicely decorated. I only saw entertainment in the bar one night (didn't do any shows) and that was quite well done. The service in the bar is a bit hit and miss. Drinks prices are very reasonable.

We only ate in the buffet (our preference) and we both thought the food was absolutely excellent. Coffee is really good coffee too.

There is a small gym, very small. There is also a small pool, but it was drained for the winter. Nice pool bar next to it though.

Staff were all great. Embarkation and disembarkation was very quick and easy.

This was the first cruise I'd been on without a balcony cabin, and as we spend lots of time in our cabin, I know now that I can't do without it, so I would have to say for a longer cruise I wouldn't go on the Marco Polo again. I would however consider it for a 2 or 3 day trip.

Suzie

P:S Going on a baltics cruise myself this year with NCL, first time there so really looking forward to that

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

Oh god - avoid it like the plague (sorry if this upsets your plans). We went on a Marco Polo cruise in June last year, and found out why the prices look so reasonable.

In short - terrible food, served at breakneck speed, unhelpful, rude, and at times agressive (East European) staff, beds so hard it made sleeping difficult.

Nothing wrong with the ship itself (although a bit old and showing it), and public areas are ok.

See my review on the ship for more detail.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

We did the Baltic Cruise in October 2011. Our first cruise ever!

We enjoyed it. The Marco Polo is an adults only ship, which suits us fine. We had an inner two berth cabin, quite spacious.

The food and service was fine. There is a choice of two restaurants; one more formal and one buffet style.

Staff were pleasant and friendly, a mixture of Eastern European - mainly the waiters and cabin staff and British - mainly doing the entertainment and shore excursions.

Very reasonably priced. What's not to like?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

Can anybody give information regarding shore excursions on Baltic trip or if it is possible to 'make your own way' on any,

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

You can 'make your own way' on all trips. However you will need a visa for St Petersburg which is/was about £50 per person, for one day!

At the other cities there was normally a courtesy bus provided, free of charge. If you are able bodied that is a good option. This was October 2011. Come back if you want more info.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

I wouldn't go anywhere near a boat operated by Cruise & Maritime. We have just returned from what should have been a trip "Land of the Northern Lights" on their boat MV Discovery. Arrived to embark at Bristol to be told we were being bussed to Portland, where we spent two nights on board with bad food, many features of the cabin not working, and virtually no communication. Along the way there were many excuses for the change of port and anticipated late departure, but finally no reason for the total cancellation of the cruise except for "it's in everyone's best interests that the cruise is cancelled". After two nights on board, we were bussed out, with full refund and a small compensation that does not cover the cost of international flights and all other arrangements, not to mention the disappointment and leave taken which can never be recovered.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

We are booked to go on a 7 day cruise on the Marco Polo (think it's called Bulb fields and Gardens) due to sail from Tilbury on 28th March. Never been on a cruise but thought that this might be a good way to try out a cruise holiday and get away over the Easter weekend and miss the traffic jams!

Had a phone call today telling me that the sailing date has been put back 3 days. No explanation given. There was the assumption that I would just say, 'fine' but I'm not happy about this and I am tempted to cancel.

Does anyone know why the date has been changed? Looking at other posts, a cruise it was due to do at the beginning of March was cancelled without explanation - are there mechanical probs perhaps?

I can see by searching the Internet that it's in Antwerp as I am writing this but can't find out its current itinerary, if it has one or whether it's in dry dock.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

Marco Polo ran aground in Norway on 9th March so had to go to dry dock in Antwerp for repairs. We were due to sail on the 14th March to see the Northern Lights, but when we got to the London Cruise terminal we found the cruise had been put back three days. So a completely wasted trip to Tilbury. Thanks Readers Offers for not letting us know. Terrible communications from Cruise & Maritime/Readers offers.

Last night (friday 15th) saw on the Cruise & Maritime website that the cruise has been cancelled!!! We received no phone call to tell us this devastating news.

We called ourselved to be told we would get a full refund plus £50 pp compensation! £50!!! how does that cover everything we have spent on preparing for this trip and all the time spent planning and the wasted annual leave. What an insult.

They also offered 25% discount on a future cruise - they must be joking - wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

We booked the cruise a year ago and have spent a lot of money on warm clothes, snow shoes, new camera etc - i know we still have these items, but its the sheer waste of time, effort and money.

I am still reeling from the £50 compensation - disgusting. And we are at a loss as to why we received no calls to advise the initial delay, then the eventual cancellation.

Shame on Cruise and Maritime and Readers Offers - will never book with them again.

Ramsgate, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

we too were supposed to be on the marco polo cruise leaving tilbury on 14th march 2013. This was my christmas present to my wife! First we told the cruise was delayed by three days, so I booked extra staff for my business to cover easter at a cost of £865.00. My travel insurance was £100.00 and I had prebooked taxis and a dog sitter coming to £500.00 not to mention all the warm clothing, boots etc. The 'compensation' of £50.00 is derisory and I am going to take this further. My wife was distraught and in tears over the cancellation and I think compensation should take this trauma into consideration too as they do in court.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages

To the latest poster - Ann H - yes we too had incurred cattery costs etc so we too will follow up additional compensation claims to cover the incidental costs and mental turmoil this has caused. Good luck to you and fingers crossed for us!! I too have been so upset after a year of anticipation.....I hope you find an alternative trip - we have now booked with Hurtigruten to travel out to Norway this week.

Reply to: Marco Polo ship by Cruise and Maritime voyages
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted