We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

Picton NSW
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

Hi, thinking of doing a cruise on Queen Mary 2 leaving Sydney 2013

have been on P&O cruises but QM2 is a hole new ball game.

When we go out it is usually casual so I don't have many evening dresses. DO we have to dress up all the time? from the pics I have seen everyone is dressed to kill.

Scoobie

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

From what I have been told, its mandatory to dress up.

No dress up = starvation lol

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

You "dress up" on formal nights only. There are usually 2 per week. And it isn't necessary to wear a gown...a nice pair of pants or skirt with a fancy top is fine.

You will see some women in gowns, but they are usually the ones who are going to the Ball Room after dinner for dancing.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 12:27
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

I havent been on QM2, however I have spoken to people ' in real life ' who have.

Formality is a massive thing on QM2, massive. A fellow Brit ( who was really rather posh ) told me once that he would never sail Cunard again due to the 'class' system, as he called it.

The better grade cabin you have, the better restaurant and better table you get. They have certain restaurants available only to certain rating of guests !

The English upper classes wouldnt want to mixing in with the plebians now would they ?

Anyway, that small rant over with, here is the copy and paste of QM2 website on formal wear :

Evenings will be split into 3 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board.

Semi formal evenings would consist of an elegant dress, or smart trouser suit outfit for ladies, a smart shirt with tie and trousers with a blazer or sports jacket for men.

Elegant Casual nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie. Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

Sorry, Steven, unlike you, I have been on the QM2 and I stand by my statement.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

MrsWS and I have been on QM2 Southampton-NYC-Southampton and to quote Steven we are undoubtedly "plebs".We had a balcony cabin in the hull (ie the cheapest class of balcony cabin).We were allocated Britannia Restaurant as expected and it was rather grand and elegant.The food was top rate.Most diners followed the dress code for the day but some did dress formally every night.Many ladies wore black trousers glammed up with tops according to the occasion but there were ball gowns,cocktail dresses in evidence.

If I went again instead of taking a dinner suit I would take a dark lounge suit because those male passengers who opted for them were not conspicuous and a lounge suit is now my cruise attire for formal nights anyway.I feel more comfortably relaxed dressed like that.

In fairness there were some snobs on board and Afternoon Tea in Queens gave them a stage on which to act.But we acted as we would normally and did not feel like members of any underclass.

Picton NSW
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

Wirral, what is a lounge suit?

Because this is the first time the QM2 has done a return trip Sydney to New Zealand & back there has been a lot of interest from AUstralians as you would guess so there are not many cabins to pick from. We would have a cabin on decks 5,6 9 or 10, any idea where they will let us eat?

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

A lounge suit is a suit with matching coat and pants, usually in a dark color...what we would call a Business suit.

Passengers in all cabins (not Suites) eat in The Britannia Restaurant, a very lovely two level dining place!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

Hiya scoobie.to us a man's lounge suit is a matching 2 piece jacket and trousers as a businessman might wear to the office.Don't know what they cost in NSW but the one I take on cruises cost me £125 in Marks & Spencer.It is black,crease resistant,lightweight and machine washable.One of the best garments I have ever bought.In UK we can buy lounge suits for £50+.But as you imply "lounge" is a misnomer.

It's not the deck you are on that dictates which restaurant you will be allocated.More it is down to what you paid.If you booked a suite or above you will be in Posh (Grill Room and it costs) but if you booked balcony/outside/inside staterooms you will be allocated Britannia which really is no hardship.Hope you won't mind me relating an anecdote from our trip as an example of Britannia Restaurant customer service.....

We were allocated a table sharing with a sole travelling Swiss/American businessman of mature age who was charming and generous.One night the dinner menu had a choice including chargrilled lobster tails or grilled filet mignon. I was spoiled for choice.I chose the filet which was excellent -not a lot of it maybe 5ozs.Our table companion had a quiet word with our waiter who then brought me the lobster tail at no cost.When I thanked him he said they always cook more entrees than are ordered and whatever is on the menu can be ordered in any quantity.When you think the American cuts of beef (always one cut on the dinner menu) are so good and generous and you can eat your fill it is a culinary treat.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

WirralScouse,

Thank you for bringing up a very good point. On the cruise ships I've been on (RCI, HAL, Cunard and Lindblad) you can order as much and as many of any item on the menu that you want. I've been with tablemates who ordered mutliple entrees, etc.

Picton NSW
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will we feel out of place on Queen Mary 2

Wow sounds good, hope you don't mind if I ask a few more questions.

how stable is the ship, I have been seasick before & as I said there are not many cabins available for the round trip from Sydney, for what we can afford the only ones are on decks 4,5 or 9 in the forward section.