We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
103 reviews
Save Topic
Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

Before we head off on a lengthy cruise abroad, I would like to take my wife on a fairly short - 4-7 days day - cruise ex Brisbane just to see how she handles the seasickness bit.

No point spending tens of thousands of dollars on a lengthy cruise to find out she spends all the time ralphing up in the loo!!

I am also pretty disappointed about the quality of the cruise ships that seem to end their days "down under" i.e. Princess Dawn!

Most forums seem full of disasters relating to the "oldness" of the ships, cabins, restaurants etc. and whilst this will only be a suck-it-'n-see type of cruise for a few days, I would at least like to do it in a bit of luxury and not down in steerage in a leaking and rusty old bucket!

Any advices along the above would be much appreciated to a complete Newbie in the cruising world!

Thanks

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,232 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

Where would you choose to cruise for your lengthy cruise abroad and for how long? From Australia or would you fly to Europe to do a Mediterranean cruise?

Are seas normally pretty rough off the coast of Australia ?- if so, chances of getting beyond that first cruise would be slim, whereas the Mediterranean can be quite calm and you would get a completely different impression of cruising. A concern with a 4 day cruise would be that it attracts the party crowd - another thing that might turn you and your wife off of cruising if that's not your 'cup of tea' and you get the impression that all cruises are like that.

How seasick does your wife get? If she's not too bad, I would forget the short cruise off the coast of Australia and pick a cruise to a destination that you're interested in (and pack some sea sickness meds).

Edited: 15 May 2012, 03:02
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

Not too many short cruises RCCL has a 7nt from Sydney in Jan or a 5 NT in Feb

How about a European river cruise ...pretty calm waters there

Edited: 15 May 2012, 04:20
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

I would absolutely second the idea of a river cruise over an ocean cruise. Why make the poor woman uncomfortable when you can see incredible places with no real chance motion sickness?

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

In this day and age no one need feel sea sick. The travel sickness pills available are brilliant and really work. Others swear by anti nausea wrist bands.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

I have to agree with hat.Medication works at minimal cost.Why suffer?

We always take with us as a precaution Stugeron a British branded over the counter anti-motion sickness drug.Only ever had to take it in Bay of Biscay in Force 10 conditions on Sea Princess.Not a pleasant experience being thrown out of bed because of the buffeting but the tablets worked and we did not suffer sickness.The tablets cost us £3.

Queues at the ship's medical facility for anti-sickness injections £90 a time.Money for old rope.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

Just ensure you buy non drowsy medication and pre test it as everyone reacts differently to medication. A friend of mine took non drowsy and slept for 3 days! Also you have to take it 12/24 hours before you board the ship if you suffer badly or it is ineffective.

Seabands are terrific but not a fashion statement, I agree.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

Hi Ian - try doing a Fiji Islands Cruise. Available for 2 - 7 nights, small ship in calm waters. Will give a great intro to cruising without the "party" crowds on the short cruises out of AU.

Royal Caribbean are running a series of short cruises next summer - see here: cruiseoffers.com.au/SearchResults/tabid/39/C…

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

Regarding the sea sickness tablets. I only take them at the FIRST sign of motion and they've always worked fine.

I get car sick if the road is bendy and I'm sitting in the back. But on a coach I get sick after the third bend going up a mountain. I don't even know if I would get sea sick, as thanks to the pills, I'm fine even in really rough seas. On a car ferry a few years ago I was one of the minority who wasn't sea sick.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,902 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

European river cruise = no ocean motion...none.

Our best over the counter motion discomfort meds are Marezine. Works like a charm, non-drowsy and can drink alcohol with them too.

Good luck and bon voyage

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,313 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seasick wife wants to go on a short cruise

Take the meds and there will be NO seasick issue, good luck and have fun. Hubie