We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

H s
Elgin, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

I am going on a 7 day round trip cruise to the mediterranean on NCL's EPIC, we have an inside state room, b/c the price is a bit cheaper but everyone is telling us we should get a balcony. Does it really make much of a difference. Has anyone travled NCL's epic Mediterranean cruise, is a balcony really worth an addit 25% cost?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

No.

In my opinion it is not.

Save the money and take an extra cruise.

My Epic review is here, although I warn you, I upset a lot of people with it !!

cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/…

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

I guess it rather depends on how much time you intend to spend in your cabin, we upgraded to an outside when we did our first cruise (not on Epic though) and although it's nice to have daylight coming in, I'm not too sure I would bother again.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

It appears that your inside cabin will be under 130 square feet:

cruisecheap.com/ships/norwegian-cruise-line-…

Allowing for bathroom/storage, your actual cabin space will be around 10 x 10 feet = 3 x 3 metres. Does that bother you?

It appears that by upgrading to balcony, you get half again as big a cabin, 210+ square feet.

My last inside cabin - February - was on another line, and was 15 x 15 feet square = 225 square feet. Larger than that balcony cabin.

I'm not always fair to NCL in my posts....but their cabin sizes are sticking points for me.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

Dont listen to Fannish !

;)

Apart from the disaster toilet situation, disaster shower thing, terrible cabin design in general, and a sink in your room, there is nothing wrong with an inside !!

Unfortunately, all these faults are also in a balcony on Epic !

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

I have to go along with the "everyone" who are telling you to get a balcony because I really felt that it enhanced our Med cruises a lot by being able to enjoy sitting out on the balcony after busy days in ports (but we weren't on NCL ships, so can't comment specifically on Epic.)

But, if the extra cost is going to mean that you have to give up something else on your cruise that would likely provide even more enjoyment ... then I would stick with a lower priced cabin. Also, can you get an unobstructed balcony cabin for 25% more ... or is it the lowest category of balcony cabin?

Edited: 12 June 2012, 15:23
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

As mentioned, it really depends on you....how much time will you spend on the balcony.

I ALWAYS get a balcony because: I love having my coffee and reading my newspapers out there, am up early on port days to get the view coming in, and I'm not into sitting around the pool, so I like to read and bask in the sun in private.

H s
Elgin, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

@ wigen, I actually found your blog quite informative, and funny. I think i plan on asking for extra towels and bringing bandaids to cover up those lights.

Thank you all for your responses, any responses postive or negative are adding to the info, i appreciate it :)

Edited: 13 June 2012, 04:14
montreal
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

@ SWigan

I also cruised this EPIC last week. You are taking words of my mind !!!

LOTS OF FLAWS IN THAT SHIP .... Let me tell you

Buffet dinner room is design is such a way that every people has to pick up their meal on each sides in a quite narrow alley where many persons have to circulate around. Nothing is available at the end of the dining room . So this remote area is empty. Big trafic jam occurs each side of the food counters . NOT FUNNY NOT PLEASANT AT ALL...

More than 50 % of deck chairs are located in shaded areas. Not acceptable to my opinion... big lack of sunny deck space...

That was my 5 th cruise ( 2 with R. Carrab, 2 with Canival ...) That was not impressive even they claim that the EPIC is the best cruising ship available... That is also some kind of bull Sh**...

Recommend.... may be but not automatically .....

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

Dont let Epic put you off NCL, it hasnt put us off them, we are on NCL Spirit next week.

:)

10. Re: Cruise, To Balcony or Not -on Norwegian CL EPIC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:17