We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea sickness

Burlingame...
1 post
Save Topic
sea sickness

we are planning to cruise from venice to barcelona in July or august 2013. One of our group is concerned about rough seas (the cruise would travel to dubrovnick, corfu, rome, florence, french riviera, marseille (hollland american nieuw amsterdam). Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sea sickness

Norm

bad weather can occur at any time of the year ... I've cruised the Med mainly in October / November and have had calm seas and a few rough sea days.

The Captain of your ship would be keen to avoid bad weather but sometimes it's unavoidable.

I suffer from motion sickness but a little bit of rough seas doesn't put me off cruising ... I simply go up to a top deck and get some wind in my face for about 15 mins then head downstairs, mid ships around the Atrium and sit there and don't do much of anything. When I get sea sick I eat dry toast for breakfast and clear soup for lunch / dinner and avoid dairy products ... so far so good !

My advice would be - unless any other poster has news to the contrary about weather in July / August - go and enjoy yourself !

Edited: 13 September 2012, 09:54
2. Re: sea sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2012, 14:48
Edited: 14 September 2012, 14:48
3. Re: sea sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2012, 14:48
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,273 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sea sickness

Since you are in the US you can get Marazine over the counter. You will probably have to ask the pharmacist to order it in for you though. It doesn't make you drowsy and you can drink alcohol with it and it really works for us and everyone we give it to. If the ship starts to rock and roll then take it and give the rest to others because we think you should have a fresh batch for every cruise. Maybe we are too careful with that but we don't want to go on a cruise and just eat dry toast when there are so many good options. Have fun.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sea sickness

Try using ginger candied or crystalised as well as ginger soda. When doing a cruise in the pacific I make sure we pack a bag of ginger to chew on as rough seas are often encountered. The ginger acts quickly to ease the symptoms of seasickness. I also declare the product when returning back to oz and have never had any trouble getting it through customs.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sea sickness

You would be very unlucky to encounter rough sea conditions in the Med and Adriatic Seas in July and August.But it could happen.Preventative medication is your low cost precaution. Here in UK we trust Stugeron 15. It worked for us even in an overnight Force 11 Severe Storm on Bay of Biscay on a Princess ship.

You can get tablets from the ship's Dr (at a price!) or in extreme cases injections from the ship's Dr (at an even more exhorbitant price).Considering the OTC drug I mentioned and marazine that Charlie mentioned only cost a couple of $ it pays to go prepared.You probably won't even open the box!.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sea sickness

I doubt very much if the Mediterranean creates rough seas in summer., And if the one in your group who is afraid of it had no previous bad experiences I would also not worry.

Before I went on an Antarctic cruise on a very small ship (39 passengers) I had no idea how it would be for me but turned out I was not the least bit affected, not even in the roughest of seas we did encounter (so bad that no meals could be served and my heavy suitcase was constantly moving in my cabin from one end to the other and could not sleep because of the constant rolling.

So unless that person has experiences, I would not worry.

A Dutch passenger on the Nieuw Amsterdam wrote in a Dutch review he had no idea he was on a ship, so smooth the voyage went.

Edited: 23 October 2012, 11:42
Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sea sickness

Your dr. should be able to prescribe a motion sickness patch for you - I believe it is called Transderm Scop - they always work well for me - you wear the patch behind your ear, and it lasts 3 days I think? then you switch it out and put on a new one -

I have also read that green apples help with sea-sickness!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sea sickness

Some people have good luck with ginger capsules or green apples

Just go to the centre of the ship on the lower decks till you feel better

People say look at the horizon ...it just make me worse but it may work for others

Sometimes just the worry of getting sea sick can make you feel bad

go and enjoy

Wagga Wagga...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: sea sickness

I love fishing and boating activities, but seasickness is always wrecking a great day. However, I think I have found a top solution. Here's a site with a new Sea Sickness Herbal product, offering a free sample in Australia. Worth giving a go. http://maroonbush.com/motion-sickness-herbal/