We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival Spirit Australia

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Carnival Spirit Australia

Hi Just wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on Carnival Spirit Australia. We will be first time cursers this year, always been a bit suspect of cruises, but hoping we made the right choice.

cheers

331 replies to this topic
Wilsons Promontory...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

We were on Carnival Spirit in November to Noumea, Mare and Isle of Pines.... Fantastic!!! There are heaps of detailed reviews over on Cruise Critic.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,472 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

Hi holidayfor4Sydney

Welcome to the forum.

The forum is starting to get a bit of feedback about CS cruises out of Australia ... if you use the search box, type Carnival Spirit and then order the results of the search by date, you'll find information on activities, drinks prices, dress code etc.

Or simply go scroll through pages on this forum, those threads will soon come up.

Just wondering, why are you feeling a "bit suspect" about taking a cruise ?

Maybe the regulars here can help to allay any fears you may have if you tell us what's bothering you.

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

HI thanks for that feedback... i read bad things mostly on cruise critic... so was a bit worried, got two children 5 and 8 and want a nice holiday, normally a land love so this wil be a new experience for me. wanted feedback on the pool area and the food choices, is it quite casual?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,472 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

Did you read bad things about cruises in general or about the Carnival Spirit ?

I normally don't bother to read the cruise reviews on Cruise Critic unless there is something specific I am looking for ... I simply don't have time !

Wilsons Promontory...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

I travelled with a 2 year old. The pool area was nice, but often crowded, too crowded and too much splashing from bigger kids for my toddler. There is a kids zone on deck 10 that was fantastic for him. He was a bit small for some of it, but it would be perfect for your 5 & 8 year olds. They have mini twin water slides your kids could race down.

We really enjoyed the food. There was so much variety that it would unlikely that everyone wouldn't be able to find something they liked. Definately take your kids to dinner in the main dining room. The waiters are fantastic with kids. There is a separate kids menu (printed on the back of a colouring in sheet they get with crayons when they enter the restaurant) with the normal kids choices nuggets, fish n chips, pizza etc etc but the kids can also order off the adult menu (you can even order a few dishes if you are not sure or if they dont like what they get). My son LOVED the panko crumbed jumbo prawns off the adults menu. They also have a kids soup of the day and pasta of the day that isn't on the menu so make sure you ask what it is each night if that could interest them. During dinner, they dim the lights and yell "IIITTTSSS SHOWTIME!!!" and all the waiters stop serving and dance! The kids (and most adults) love it.

Feel free to ask if you have specific questions.....

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

hi

doug - yes was specific to cc spirit. i agree i don't take it all on board but a little research goes a long way:)

pomhills - thats exactl what i need to hear:) was it recently? glad to hear about food ..my two are older 5 and 8 so they will fit right in by the sounds of it. With dinner etc can you go quite casual dress wise? We don't travel till august so a fair way away but i am sure it wil come around quick enough and hoping the fanfare and enthusiasm form the staff on board hasn't waned.

Did you mange to check out the kids club. We aren't travelling in school holidays which hopefully will not mean as many kids:)

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

oh and i heard about drink packages?? does anyone know about them.

Also getting on and off the boat at ports was it a quick process or long and not worth it?

Wilsons Promontory...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

We went last November, only a few months ago.

You can go smart casual to the main dining room (jeans + nice shirt are ok), casual to buffet (shorts & t-shirt, but swimmers are discouraged). There was a real variety in dress and no one was turned away. Its dressier on 'elegant nights' but even then its not compulsory to dress up.

My son hated the kids club. Nothing against it, I think he was just too little. The staff there seemed lovely but they had set activities that went for scheduled times and my son just wanted to play. I think he also thought he was missing out on fun stuff with mum and dad while he was there. He went a few times then didnt want to go back so we didnt force him. There are different programs and rooms for different ages with different activites to suit the ages. We are cruising again early 2014 and will definately give him another go in kids club, I guess it depends on the personality of your kids.... mine likes to stay with me.....

There was no alcohol package when we were there, although I heard this may be being introduced. We bought the bottomless bubbles for myself. It was about $7-8 per day from memory. You had to buy it on the first day and have it for the whole cruise, it included unlimited canned soft drinks - coke, diet coke, lemonade etc etc (which they pour into glasses). You can get water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, iced tea and a lemon cordial for free in the buffet all day as well as juice at breakfast. They also have little bottles of plain and flavoured milk in the buffet at breakfast (we grabbed a couple each day - as well as some muffins and fruit - and put them in our room fridge to have in the afternoon).

Depends on the ports..... Docked ports are quick and easy, just walk off. Tender ports take a bit longer. They issue stickers on Lido Deck with numbers on them, when you number is called, you go down to get on the tender boat to go ashore. Depending on how far from land the ship is anchored depends on how long the tenders take to return to get the next people. There is a separate sticker system for people who have shore tours and need to be off at set times. Its a very well organised system and flows smoothly and fairly quickly. I'd say definately get off, but if you dont have a shore tour to get to take your time and go when the crowds die down. We also got back on the ship early some days and virtually had the place to oursleves... this is when we used the main pools cause no one else was in them!

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

you are a lifesaver pomhills, these are thee things i i needed to know, first hand form someone who's recently been on them. I agree with kids club don't think our kids wil be in there every day but be nice to make use of adults only area occassioanly and not have to worry about the kids:) Okay so drink bubbles $7 a day but you have to purchase on day one,? is this for the whole family or per person? we are on a 12 night cruise.

i def want to get off the boat at some of the ports but was worried it was a long process but all sounds good:)

Wilsons Promontory...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival Spirit Australia

You're welcome. I like to be planned too!!

Yeah the bubbles package has to be bought on the first day. There are tables in the atrium and pool deck selling it, they put a sticker on your cruise card. The price is per person, but you don't all have to get it. But if only 1 of you gets it you can only get 1 drink at a time with it. Hope that makes sense....

Reply to: Carnival Spirit Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted