We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

Me and my husband are planning for a 12 days Mediterranean Trip on September. It's our first time going on a cruise.. Super excited.

When comparing both cruiselines, they have almost the same itinerary. Price diff is approx $500 more on Norewgian.

Any thought on which one to choose?

would like to hear your comment on Food/Service/Entertainment!!

THANKS!!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

If food and service are big components of a fulfilling holiday for you, as they are for many folks, I suggest that you check beyond these companies. Since you are in Toronto you can find lots of expert cruise sellers (travel agents) and booking with a good one will ensure that your first cruise is one that matches your tastes and interests. Have a wonderful adventure.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

Behave yourself Charlie !

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these companies, they do not serve gruel ! And they do not do it with a scowl on their faces either !

To the original poster :

I have not sailed Carnival Sunshine, have sailed Carnival though and many times on NCL.

NCL Spirit last year was possibly our best cruise ever. I can provide a link to my review if you need it.

If it was my choice, it would be NCL Spirit.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

I'm with Charlie.I have cruised in Med 4 times I think.My first choice would be Celebrity and my second Royal Caribbean. I have cruised with both and never with NCL and Carnival so it's a perception comparison based on hearsay.

Beijing
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

Purely chosing from the two options given by the OP...Sunshine is the new name for the (in)famous Carnival Destiny after it finishes its "upgrade"...it has to be Norwegian Spirit for me.

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
137 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

I recently did my own research of the same area and ended up choosing the Spirit. I just couldn't beat the itinerary which was my primary concern. And the price was also great. The shore excursions are expensive and will drastically increase your price quickly if you book a lot of them but I understand this to be the case on all cruise lines. Check them out in advance of booking however because depending on where your ship docks a shore excursion may be necessary to see the sites you're cruising for in the first place. My shore excursions have more than doubled the original price of my cruise which I'm not sure everyone understands when they book "the best deal." I also learned that the Spirit is an older ship though recently renovated. It doesn't have the fancier new rock climbing walls, water slides, etc. so if you are activities oriented it may not be your first choice either although for a couple of late middle-agers that wasn't important to us (and I'm secretly hoping it means we can expect a more laid back crowd than some of the other party atmosphere ships we've been on). The cabins are also smaller than the norm and with fewer amenities (no fridge in most rooms) but with an itinerary that has me in a new port from morning til night nearly everyday I don't expect to spend much time there anyway. Happy hunting!

Beijing
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

Carnival Sunshine's "upgrade" actually includes adding more cabins, and in its former name, Carnival Destiny, it was frequently reviewed as over-crowded. Better wait for early reviews on Carnival Sunshine to come in before make a booking.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

I haven't cruised on either of these ships yet. I had heard negative reports (and later some positive comments) about NCL, but they had a good offer on a great itinerary for the Pacific Coastal Cruise, so I booked it. Since then I have been reading a lot more about it, and luckily there are many repeat cruisers on NCL and also favorable reviews about the NCL Sun, which had the dates I needed.

We have also cruised on Celebrity which we loved and on RCCL Legend of the Seas which was not as good. They had some new crew, and there was a difference in customer service.

If there's that much of a price difference try looking at different websites like AAA, Costco, Expedia, or Travelocity because sometimes they offer incentives like onboard credit which may reduce the difference.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

Correction: if there's not much difference in price...

Also as you probably know now, Carnival seems to be having problems with its cruises this year.

Pasadena, California
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

I was booked on the Carnival Sunshine for 4/12/13 (its "maiden" voyage after renovations) but just heard from travel agency yesterday that this cruise got cancelled! They wanted to continue upgrading their emergency generators or something. Now I'm scrambling to find another cruise to fill the void which was supposed to be my honeymoon. Looking at Norwegian Spirit now

Edited: 21 March 2013, 00:00
Beijing
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mediterranean cruise- Norwegian Spirit or Carnival Sunshine?

A bit unusual, especially that Destiny is in another continent and in early April, there is no other Carnival (excl. Costa) ships in the region to absorb the bumped guests.

Did Carnival offer to reimburse your traveling costs or just the cruise costs?