We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

I am going on a Royal Caribbean cruise with my family and they want us to buy drinking passes. Does anyone have experience with this, specifically can you share them or is it necessary for everyone over 21 (or 18) to have their own?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

Do you mean alcohol or soda?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

alcohol

milwaukee wi
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

You cannot share drinks and if one person in the cabin buys a pass, everyone in that cabin who is over 21 must buy a pass.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

Everyone over 21 in the same stateroom must buy the package, and the package must be bought for the entire cruise (no pro-rating, etc.) The only exception is if someone has a medical reason they cannot drink, and have a doctor's note with them to document it.

Packages are per person and not to be shared. There are 2 different packages - the Classic, which is beer, wine by the glass and non-alcoholic frozen concoctions. The Premium is spirits, liquors, beers and wines by the glass and frozen drinks. There is a comprehensive list of what each package includes at the RCI boards on www.cruisecritic.com. May be worth taking a look at to see if either one includes drinks that appeal to your group.

Depending on your drinking habits, it can be a great deal or not work out at all. One intangible bonus is not having to sign a slip each and every time you want a drink. And being able to try new things without worrying about cost. If you are a wine drinker - not a great deal though. The wine selection is very limited, and by most accounts - not good wines. We don't drink much wine, so not a big deal to us!

You can wait till embarkation and buy once onboard for the same price as pre-purchasing. That way you can get a good look at what's included and also compare to pay as you go drink prices. Either way you purchase, it is a small sticker on your seapass card which indicates your package.

Enjoy your cruise either way.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

This is package must be new. Last year when I sailed they only had the wine, soft drink, water, and juice packages. If you drink a lot I can see being worth it, but if your drinking depends on the day and mood (like me), I'd have to consider carefully. Thanks for the info!

Hartford, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

We are sailing 2-1-14 out of Sam Juan. My wife and I aren't big drinkers but we do like the convenice of this package. We last cruised on 2007 and spent close too what the drinking package cost now. Seemed a fair deal to us.

Canberra
Level Contributor
568 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

Some of the posters on the RCI board on cruise critic have reported that you do have to still sign the slip when you order even if you do have a package - the amount is shown as zero. General view is that bartenders are hoping for a further tip!

Many report that the convenience of not having to sign is not there. It does seem a bit hit and miss though as some bars on some ships did not present the bill for signing.

One of the negatives I see with the RCI package is that specialty coffees and water are not included as they are on Celebrity (though Celebrity does cost more per day).

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
49 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

Royal Caribbean left me high and dry.

I was booked on a cruise of Mariner of the Seas and without reason my trip has been cancelled. One understands that cruises might have to and do get cancelled from time to time. It is however the manner in which RC has handled this which is so disappointing. I thought they were a reputable and professional company but they proved not to be as reputable.

Without any reasons given for cruise cancellation, one has to draw your own conclusions. Possibly there might be something wrong with this vessel and hence passenger safety might be at stake. Who knows – perhaps a repeat of the Costa incident?

This cruise company has now left my high and dry (no pun intended). They did offer alternative arrangements but nothing which suits my other confirmed and paid for reservations. It turns out that my travel insurance does not cover me either. It will cost me serious money now having to fill a gap of 14 days right in the middle of a 30 day holiday. All has been paid and booked way in advance. If you were aware that the sailing might have been cancelled, why then accept bookings and collect payment???

All other options considered at this late stage are either booked out or VERY expensive. Sure there are supposed terms and conditions, but the non-care attitude of the supposedly respectable company is what really gets me down. They did offer to reimburse me all my paid cruise expenses - very generous, thanks. What about all my other losses?

Travelling all the way from South Africa to China for your cruise shows our commitment to the brand. Our experience made us to believe that your brand is misrepresented. I thought American companies are service and customer orientated but you have seriously let me down.

POOR SHOW ROYAL CARIBBEAN!! You will not see me again.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

Albertgerber - there's no need to post the same message on 5 different threads. And rather than take a thread off topic, a better idea is to start a new thread.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 03:49
King George...
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Caribbean Drinking Pass

Ever since Royal Caribbean launched the unlimited alcohol packages for their passengers to purchase last year, they've been a popular consideration and topic of discussion. Convenience, cost, what it includes and other questions are commonly what manny guests contemplate.

The basic concept is rather than have to pay for each drink throughout your cruise and then worry what your bar tab will look like when you get the final bill, Royal Caribbean is offering two unlimited alcohol packages that will give passengers of paying for their drinks up front and then having the convenience of not dealing with the costs of each drink.

We wanted to do the math and figure out how many drinks one would need to order per day in order to theoretically "break even". By breaking even, we mean having enough drinks that would cover the cost of the package if they had ordered the same amount of drinks but opted to pay for them a la carte.

Royal Caribbean has two unlimited alcohol packages to choose from. The Classic Beverage Package costs $45 per passenger, per day, and features beer (priced $6.25 or less), house wines by the glass, all nonalcoholic cocktails, soda and juices. The Premium Beverage Package, at $55 per person, per day, includes all of the above plus all beers (no price limit), frozen drinks and cocktails made with premium brand alcohol. Bottled water and minibar items are not included in either package. Prices are inclusive of service charges.

Time for the math!

Classic Beverage Package

$45 per person, per day. On a 7-night cruise, this comes out to $315 per person.

Beers: $4.50 - $6.25

House wines (by the glass): $6.00 - $9.00

Soda: $1.95

Juices: $3.95

To break even on beer alone, you would need to drink about 7 to 9 beers per day. Or you could drink about 4 beers, 2 glasses of wine, 2 sodas and 1 juice per day.

Premium Beverage Package

$55 per person, per day. On a 7-night cruise, this comes out to $385 per person.

Mixed drinks/cocktails, martinis, frozens: $6.50 - $12.00

Beers: $4.50 - $6.25

House wines (by the glass): $6.00 - $9.00

Soda: $1.95

Juices: $3.95

To break even on mixed drinks alone, you would need to drink about 5 to 8 mixed drinks per day. Or you could drink 4 mixed drinks, 2 beers, 2 sodas and 1 juice per day.

Since the prices range so wildly with mixed drinks, having just mixed drinks and drinking the cheapest mixed drinks possible would require about 9 drinks to break even. Or 5 mixed drinks if you went for the most expensive ones.

Conclusion

Based on the breakdowns, it seems reasonable to consume that much, provided you enjoy that much alcohol.

On sea days or cruises that aren't port intensive, it can certainly make sense. However, if you're spending most of the day at a port, that leaves you with very little time to have the necessary drinks per day.

What tends to be a deal breaker for many is everyone over the age of 21 in your stateroom must purchase the package and there can be someone who is not interested in that much alcohol.

From a financial standpoint, if you can drink enough every day of your cruise to make it worth it, then go for it. But if it sounds like too much, then stick to paying cash. Or better yet, take the money that the unlimited alcohol packages would cost and place it on a gift card and use that to settle up your bar tab at the end of the cruise and keep any leftover money if you didn't spend it all!