We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

Berkshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

How bad is it ? How many affected please?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

Oh no.Not Eclipse as well! Just as we have booked her for end August.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,044 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

Long gone by Aug, if not by the next cruise. Celebrity is very thorough in cleaning the ships after an outbreak, usually delaying boarding for several hours to deep clean before any new guests come onboard. Be prepared to not serve yourself in the buffet for the next few cruises, for their to be no salt/pepper shakers in the buffets and the like (small self serve packets instead), dinner rolls to be served individually instead of in bread baskets at dinner and for their to be hand sanitizer everywhere - use it! There will be staff around everywhere during the next few cruises cleaning railings constantly, wiping down walls, extra bathroom cleanings, and so on. We have sailed several times after a noro outbreak and never had a problem.

I wouldn't worry (too) much about it. Celebrity is very thorough.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

Earlier today I passed on to MrsWS the fresh news revealed by Julie about norovirus on Eclipse.I won't repeat what she said but I can tell you it wasn't good listening and reedprincess's reassurances did not reassure her.

1) she still remembers vividly picking up norovirus on a Thomson ship and how poorly she was even after arriving home after the cruise, and

2) although we have both been aware of the seemingly perpetual norovirus problems Fred Olsen have been getting we really did not expect a Celebrity ship to get it.

She stated categorically that if this news had come out a week ago before she booked and paid on Saturday 15 June for 31 August Fjords Cruise on Eclipse she defo would not have booked it. So I am interested in seeing answers to Julie's questions.Maybe will have to wait until current passengers return.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,044 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

What can I say - norovirus happens, on ships, at home, at schools, etc. We have sailed Celebrity 3 times after norovirus outbreaks (and the only reason we knew is we have many friends who work for the line - the outbreaks didn't make the news and were not very large, the last one we sailed was 2 years ago) They do an amazing job of sanitizing, and you can take your own precautions. With the delayed boarding, they are deep cleaning the ship. Having not sailed Thompson, I can't answer to what their procedures are, or how their passengers behave or what the ship does in the days following an outbreak, I can only answer to what Celebrity does - and they do everything in their power to prevent any further contamination and will be doing continual cleaning and precautionary measures including no one serving themselves (major transmitter of noro), no slat/pepper shakers, more hand sanitizers, etc.

It's up to you whether you sail with them or not of course - if it freaks you out, then cancel and re-book for later dates or another line. Personally, I have no hesitation sailing on Celebrity after an outbreak. We each have our own level of comfort.

Enjoy, whichever you choose.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

Thanks for that reedprincess. Looking at CruiseCritic which I hardly ever do I can see Eclipse has had norovirus previously-as well as other Celebrity ships so as you say norovirus happens.I am beginning to believe Celebrity are better at confining outbreaks than Fred Olsen and Thomson and I for one am more optimistic that by end August it may be plain sailing again.

Interestingly enough on CruiseCritic the comment was made that(in a nutshell) the older the cruise line's passenger profile the more likely is norovirus!

Midwest
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

I have two loved ones working on the Eclipse and it is fine now. Most often someone brings something on the ship or eats something bad off the ship but the ship gets blamed for the problem. (And they are very good at immediately disinfecting the entire ship with the whole crew working on it).

Edited: 20 June 2013, 19:01
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

I am just home from Eclipse. Norovirus is an endemic risk of cruising or any other activity where people live at close quarters. My wife was poorly for about 12 hours out of 13 days. I did not get it despite living at the closest quarters. How many affected? I don't know but I suspect it was a relatively small number. As we left, the crew were preparing to cleanse the ship. The precautions that Celebrity take are impressive but can never beat a virulent bug especially if passengers suppress the fact that they are bringing it aboard.

Keep cruising if you like it and remember you can get the bug on dry land too.

ToM

Doncaster, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

We have just got off Celebrity eclipse yesterday and Norovirus is still on the ship and people are still falling ill and celebrity do not seem concerned feel so sorry for the people who boarded yesterday not knowing as we did

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

Thanks Lynn.What makes you say "Celebrity do not seem concerned?"

If the outbreak persists until August I will be asking for a refund as I have no intention of joining a ship with endemic norovirus..

cornwall
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Norovirus on celebrity eclipse

We left the ship on Saturday in Southampton and although there are cases on board, Celebrity could not be doing more to try and resolve the issue. Don't expect self service in the restaurants they will serve you to avoid possibilty of passenger contamination and remember its up to you to CLEAN your hands frequently and use the hand gel provided. It goes without saying passengers are responsible for cleaning their hands as the staff can't follow you everywhere!! Enjoy your cruise and try not to worry too much about the bug and remember you can pick it up anywhere not just on a cruise ship.