We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silverseas cruise

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Silverseas cruise

My wife and I are taking a Silverseas cruise in November. We are both non-alcohol drinkers.

Is the higher cruise price for Silverseas vs. non-inclusive cruise lines still warranted?

Essentially, could we tour with another cruise line and enjoy similar comfort level without an alcohol all-inclusive?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,296 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silverseas cruise

Silverseas is at the luxury end of the cruise lines and accordingly more expensive. I am not aware of the contemporary lines having any all-inclusive (incl alcohol) pricing but sell separate drinks packages.

The question is made a bit difficult as you do not mention the region that you are considering to cruise in.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 03:15
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silverseas cruise

Is it the food, the smaller ships , formal nights... do they include excursions?

What is your decision for choosing silversea?

There are other lines in the premium category that may appeal to you they are not all inclusive, no formal night do not include alcohol in the prices or shore excursions

You could check Oceania cruises ..we enjoy the smaller ships we usually do our own excursions with people we meet on the Roll calls on cruise critic

If you give us some idea what you look for in a cruise experience I am sure there are other lines that may work for you as well

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silverseas cruise

My wife and I do not have an extended cruising history. We enjoy the lack of crowds generally associated with the more upscale cruises, the large cabins on Silverseas were also a draw. Selected this particular cruise because of the Bridge card games and associated teachings proffered.

May take another look at Oceana; friend of mine was on a cruise in the Med on a vessel with passengers and staff of ~ 200. Thanks for the insights, appreciate your responses.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silverseas cruise

Oceania usually has a large number of Bridge players onboard

There is one in August that may interest you

oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/…default.aspx

the cabins will probably be smaller than on SS

Edited: 21 June 2013, 03:52
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silverseas cruise

Seadream have very small yacht like ships

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silverseas cruise

The Silversea experience is not about the alcohol being included, it's about 6 star luxury, with fine dining (the only Relais and Chateau restaurants at sea), butler service (coming back to your suite to find a candle-lit bubble bath has been drawn for you being just one example of the pampering level), large suites, the most comfortable bed I have slept in anywhere in the world, and a general level of service and quality that is hard to beat - don't make a decision based on whether you will get your money's worth as a teetotaller, please!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silverseas cruise

WOW..do they ask if you want a bubble bath before hand???

I cannot imagine a butler thinking I need a bath LOL

Canberra
Level Contributor
563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silverseas cruise

I just love the butler comments. I came down with Noro on a Silversea cruise to the Arctic (on their expedition ship). The doctor visited, gave me a shot and suggested that I might get our butler to sponge my forehead as I had a temperature. :-) I passed on the offer!

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silverseas cruise

We have taken several Silverseas cruises and loved almost every minute. The offer of a butler drawn bath, gourmet dining in the middle of nowhere and and the daily arrival of caviar at the beginning of the 5 o'clock cocktail hour are just a few of the amenities that we've come to expect.

Their is one aspect of the Silverseas operation that disturbs the joy of a complete immersion into this luxurious escape into nature, Fox is the only choice on their oceangoing TV news. We are preparing to take a two-week cruise to the Arctic later this month and I worry that during the entire time I am there I will be afraid to return to the mainland. The fear that the dollar will be worthless, teenage girls will be forced to have at least one abortion before being allowed to vote, the sky will be blackened by black ops helicopters spraying clouds of mindnumbing marijuana, Obama will have imposed sharia law in Jackson Mississippi and that the Congress might pass a law that the President would be willing to sign will possibly negate the joy of observing beluga whales and polar bears.

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silverseas cruise

All

Thanks for the insights, my wife is also taken with the idea of a butler; in her case she looks forward to avoiding unpacking and packing. Thanks again.

Herb Florida