We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Islands first timers

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Greek Islands first timers

Hi all, My wife Fiona was born in wales and has travel europe me I'm kiwi born and bred and have travel but not to europe, USA, Thailand etc so this side...her dream is to cruise the greek Islands and she has been going on and on about this for years, its time I want to plan it and go so where shall we start? We like to travel comfortable and have never been on a cruise so we are looking forward to any input anyone might have. Cheers

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Islands first timers

Hi guys.

Welcome to cruising. You will hopefully love it as much as we do. My wife and I did 2 x 7 night back to back cruises last May/June on the Norwegian Jade and visited Santorini and Myconos in the Greek Isles. We absolutely loved Greece and so should you. The ship we went on was very nice.

Hope you have a great time which ever ship and itinerary you choose.

Cheers Bob & Chris

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Islands first timers

Thanks for the reply, any tips and tricks? Cheers

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek Islands first timers

Thanks for the reply, any tips and tricks? Cheers

Edited: 28 June 2013, 21:19
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,624 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek Islands first timers

Do you have a budget for the trip?

Do you want a large ship or smaller ship??

A bit of info on your expectations wants & needs would be helpful to advise you

I would seek out a TA that can guide you then compare

Love the Greek Islands ..it can be quite warm in the summer & busy so if you can go April may or Sept Oct ...less tourists

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek Islands first timers

Thanks for the reply,

We havn't set a budget as such and will just see how it stacks up during the booking process. not sure on ship size and some feedback on this would be great. In terms of our expectations and needs...needs are few wants are plenty! just like to stay comfortable and clean without getting stroked on price, don't mind paying for quaility and good service.

1) How long for first timers?

2) Cruise companies we should look towards?

3) What to look out for and what to avoid?

4) Best place to start from when Traveling from NZ

I guess just any advice that may help us

Thanks

Tony and Fiona

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,624 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek Islands first timers

I would maybe look at a shorter cruise from near home to see if you would like cruising

I would look at the smaller ships but that is just me ..we prefer less people 1500 or under

So many things to consider ... talking to a local TA or getting some brochures may help narrow the field down a bit

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

AdelLondon!
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek Islands first timers

Hi there!

We just booked the Jade for the Greek Is sail late Sept. We are wondering if its worth doing any of the ships excursions.... ??

Im assuming it wont be packed at that time of year (unlike high summer) so the queues for the cable car etc not so long, but our travel agent also said they let the excursion people on the tenders first so we are wondering if thats a benefit...??

Would value your suggestions for each port of call. We are happy to wander about ourselves also, but what are the must dos?

Thanks for your opinions posted publically already-much appreciated!

Niki

Edited: 07 July 2013, 09:18
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,624 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek Islands first timers

AUSBRIT

Sept is still busy because it is not as hot as the summer but it also depends on how many ships in port that day

If you go to Rhodes take a trip to Lindos ..you can rent a car the roads are good there or just walk around the walled city

Patmos..tour the monestary ..the view is spectacular

maybe list your ports then people can advise

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek Islands first timers

Hi Niki,

If you have a look back through this forum you will see I did a pretty detailed Jade Port Reviews.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Bob & Chrisl

manchester
Level Contributor
346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek Islands first timers

Try a Thomson ship great especially for first time cruisers or if want more luxury try a Princess ship they do a lovely Greek Island cruise .:-)