We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

Perth
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

Scenic Tours will on average only compensate you for a failed 2013 European River Cruise to the value of approx. 10% of the value of the tour. In our case which was a flood affected tour of French Rivers where we only sailed for a sum total of 6 HOURS, we were given $1000 each BUT only as credit toward another cruise with them.

Have you or one of your family been similarly poorly treated by Scenic Tours in 2013 ?

Then I humbly request you to blog on their Facebook page, or Tripadvisor, and warn other travellers about Scenic Tours. It may not help our case or even yours but there is not harm in trying.

Power to the people.

Perth
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

* no harm in trying

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

Did you take out travel insurance because that is normally where to go if something goes wrong with your holiday

Edited: 20 July 2013, 11:48
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

you may want to post on Cruise critic also ...there were many unhappy people posting there

They do read CC

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

I really doubt any travel insurance policy would cover loss of holiday itinerary because of too much water in the rivers.

But Scenic seem to be pleading all the rain was an Act of God. Will their reputation withstand that?

Perth
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

We have already made enquiries with regard to an interrupted tour with our Insurer.

Unfortunately because Scenic Tours seem to have a "policy" of never cancelling a tour customers cannot claim on their personal travel insurance as a 'cancellation or interruption of tour.'

If you read the fine print on Scenic Tours brochure which is quite extensive you will find that you have very few rights and they take very little responsibility should anything go wrong with your tour.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

I was onboard a Scenic Tours ship (Amsterdam to Budapest) that delivered 5 days of the 15 day itinerary due to severe flooding and closure of the Rhine, Main and Danube Rivers. We were docked in one location for 5 nights, and then had a horrific bus journey to Vienna to another ship (called 'ship swaps') where we remained docked for a further 5 nights. Most of the group traveled to Budapest by bus where they stayed at a hotel for one night. Unbelievably we were offered a refund of $500 per person, when the cruise cost $8940 per person on a twin share basis, AND an offer of $1000 discount on the next cruise. The cruise director organised bus excursions within a reasonable distance of the moored ship, but hey I did not pay this sort of money to embark on the most expensive bus tour ever. I will NEVER EVER use Scenic Tours again and suggest that anyone reading this post doesn't either. I have made a claim on my travel insurance which appears to cover this circumstance, as yet unconfirmed.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

I think you need to form a class action type group and contact one of the large firms such as S & G where the former PM worked.

Regardless of what Scenic's fine print is, there is such a thing as the Australian Consumer Law where there are certain Consumer Guarantees that should be met. Certainly weather is a factor but as Scenic chose to proceed (presumably they did not ask by show of hands who wants to go home !!) that decision to proceed resulted in you having a holiday that did not meet your expectations / description of the product etc, that does not diminish Scenic's responsibilities to meet the Consumer Guarantees in my opinion. Bear in mind I'm not legally qualified but I do have some experience in standing up for my rights under the ACL and where "bad weather" was blamed for events as an alleged consequence of weather conditions.

austlii.edu.au/au/…sch2.html

COMPETITION AND CONSUMER ACT 2010 - SCHEDULE 2

The Australian Consumer Law

Specifically:

Division 1--Consumer guarantees

Subdivision A--Guarantees relating to the supply of goods

51 Guarantee as to title

52 Guarantee as to undisturbed possession

53 Guarantee as to undisclosed securities etc.

54 Guarantee as to acceptable quality

55 Guarantee as to fitness for any disclosed purpose etc.

56 Guarantee relating to the supply of goods by description

57 Guarantees relating to the supply of goods by sample or demonstration model

58 Guarantee as to repairs and spare parts

59 Guarantee as to express warranties

Subdivision B--Guarantees relating to the supply of services

60 Guarantee as to due care and skill

61 Guarantees as to fitness for a particular purpose etc.

62 Guarantee as to reasonable time for supply

63 Services to which this Subdivision does not apply

Subdivision C--Guarantees not to be excluded etc. by contract

64 Guarantees not to be excluded etc. by contract

64A Limitation of liability for failures to comply with guarantees

8. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 21:35
Beechworth...
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

We had the same problem with Evergreen Tours (sister company of Scenic Tours). We toured in May/June and were only on board the ship for 8 nights (3 nights stuck at Wurzburg). We also endured terrible bus trips and horrendous hotel accommodation (except in Vienna) all in the name of looking after the majority. Not once did they ask us what we would like to do and what the options were. We purchased the 21 day Paris to Prague which cost $8,695 pp plus we had shouted ourselves a once in a lifetime upgrade of a twin balcony which cost an additional $3,495 pp. if you do the maths, it was a very expensive holiday. As compensation, we received $1,494 pp plus a $500 pp Travel Voucher. Although Paris and Prague were very good, I believe Evergreen Tours should have stepped up to the mark and offered their passengers a replacement trip. I would be happy to join a class action should anyone else be interested. Based on how we were treated, I cannot foresee ever travelling with either Evergreen Tours or Scenic Tours. I still cringe when the holiday is discussed - that we could have bought a brand new car for what we paid for our dud holiday!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic Tours Fail to Adequately Compensate Flooded Cruises

You might be interested in reading about this claim in the Dept of Fair Trading

austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/…

Lloyd v Scenic Tours Pty Ltd (General) [2010] NSWCTTT 591 (13 December 2010)