We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
182 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

Hi there

we / myself and my husband both aged 40 have booked a 2 week cruise n stay for July 2014 on the Thomson celebration doing the Ancient wonders then a week AI in Serergarme Turkey.

As its our 1st cruise we have booked de lux cabin deck 8/9 but not booked a specific cabin.

We fly from our local airport to Marmaris and pick up the ship there.

Can anyone tell me how it all works with luggage etc, do we collect at the other end ?

Any tips for the cruise at all ?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

They are the best most spacious cabins on the ship.Apart from the suites.The decor and en-suite are a bit dated.Handily located for Explorers Lounge which is a lovely out of the way bar and late night cabaret venue. We had a cabin like yours although we did pay the small surcharge to specify exactly which.

You collect your luggage off the carousel at the Turkish airport. Clear customs/immigration then see your cases on to the transfer coaches.Next time you see them they are waiting for you outside your cabin door.

Celebration is now an old lady but she is clean and well-maintained.In many ways imho she and Spirit are better ships than younger ships in Thomson's fleet eg Dream and Majesty. We preferred to have dinner in the waiter-service restaurant rather than the buffet.It is more comfortable and relaxing but it can take a long time and some people don't like to linger over their dinner.For a change the extra charge waiter restaurant is a nice experience with very good quality food,more space around the tables and more waiters per passenger.

For your first cruise you have chosen well.If available at a large discount go for the Drinks Package if you like wine,cocktails,spirits.But don't pay full price for it.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

Thanks for the response.

My friend has cruised previously and didn't see her case from departure airport to cabin ?

The ship is now a platinum one and we have the full drinks pack.

We are very excited already.

Do you know if there is a reviews page for the ship as I would love to view people's actual photos.

Thanks x

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

You will see lots of reviews on TA's sister site CruiseCritic.But it takes some patience finding your way around it.

Whitehaven, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

We did a Cruise and stay last year from Marmaris on Thomson Celebration and then stayed for a week in Marmaris Imperial.

It was excellent, we have booked again for next year for a week at the same hotel and Ancient Wonders the second week.

The ship is now upgraded to Platinum and has been refurbished I cant wait to se it.

The transfer and check in procedure is very well organised and straight forward.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

Wirral scouse: Now you tell me. "For your first cruise you have chosen well.If available at a large discount go for the Drinks Package if you like wine,cocktails,spirits.But don't pay full price for it."

Just booked and paid £398 for two for 7 days for the drinks package. for future ref. how do you get the discounted drinks package? To make things worse my wife doesn't drink alcohol.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

That's a shame Jay. It depends on the time of booking what the Drinks Package costs.Generally the earlier you book the more likely you are on Thomson to get free or low price Drinks Package.You should have asked sooner (unless you have booked and paid within a few weeks of departure).

I do feel for you my fellow Evertonian.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

Been on Celebration twice (Eastern Med, and Red Sea Magic).

Booked both times with Cruise 1st, via adverts in Saturday newspaper. Both times had the the drinks package thrown in.

Had the cheapest inside cabins, no problems at all.

Loved both cruises, everything went to clockwork, staff, entertainment purrfect.

Got 2 weeks on Dream from 9 November (Adriatic to Atlantic). Adults only. Drinks Package thrown in again! Fly to Palma, and finish off in Lisbon.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 11:53
8. Re: 1st cruise booked, Thomson celebration tips please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:17