We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,379 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

Celebrity has cancelled the last four regularly weekly Alaska cruises by Millennium due to ongoing propulsion unit problems. An overview of the saga can be read here:

usatoday.com/story/…

I understand that after problems affecting the southbound cruise Seward to Vancouver, she then commenced her northbound scheduled cruise but only got as far as Ketchikan and passengers are to be flown out from there on chartered aircraft.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

Thanks Frommy ... that's really unfortunate for all those passengers.

"Ongoing propulsion unit problems" has been a 10+ year situation with the Celebrity Millennium class ships...ever since they were built. I remember being somewhat concerned about this after booking our 2005 cruise on Millennium, as I hadn't seen the discussion on this problem until after I had booked. (Our cruise was not affected.) Here's an article dating back to 2004 that discusses it: www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1163

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

Here's another article (2003) regarding RCCL's lawsuit over the faulty propulsion units: www.theguardian.com/business/2003/aug/09/9 They reached a settlement about 3 years ago.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,379 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

One would have thought that settlement of any commercial litigation would have provided for the means to correct such a problem .............

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

Yes ... it seems to be a mystery why there isn't a permanent fix, and instead numerous temporary ones. There's probably an explanation somewhere ... but so far I haven't seen it.

Norwood, Ma
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

Our cruise was canceled. We had to scramble to find another to take with just 1 1/2 weeks to go. We had to compromise our itinerary. But, we had time scheduled off and were ready to go.

I understand that they will offer us 25% off our next cruise with them if we take it within the net 12 months and of course a full refund. I don't think that this is enough compensation for what happened.

Any advice on what I should expect or insist upon?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

If you were in UK the most you would expect is a full refund and perhaps a small discount off a future cruise..

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

rstrac - This thread on Tripadvisor's sister site, Cruise Critic, might be of interest: boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,523 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

That is about what you can expect - full refund of your cancelled cruise (whatever portion was booked with Celebrity) and discount off future cruise. Not sure what else you would expect. Seems about right to me. Count yourself lucky you were able to find another cruise that fit your dates/flights, and have a great vacation.

Enjoy - Alaska is stunning no matter how you get there!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

I quote from 2010 edition of Berlitz Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships by Douglas Ward.

"Celebrity Millenium-This was the first Celebrity Cruises ship to be fitted with a "pod" propulsion system coupled with a gas turbine powerplant. Indeed this is the first cruise ship IN THE WORLD to be powered by quiet,smokeless,energy-efficient gas turbines.....THE SHIP WAS DOGGED BY TECHNICAL PROBLEMS IN ITS EARLY DAYS".

She entered service in June 2000. And it's still a problem?

Anybody want to buy a 90,000 tons cruise ship that is technically not fit for purpose? Or are Celebrity going to be left with her? If so what are they going to do about a long-standing problem that is rapidly losing customer confidence in what is really a quality cruise line? (I ask that as I am cruising on Celebrity Eclipse from 31 August).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Celebrtity Millennium current mechanical issues

RSTRAC: Celebrity may also reimburse you up to $ 400 to cover any Change Fees that you had to pay in rescheduling air transportation, but you have to request it. You should have received an email from them by now.

By the way, thankfully, no one has said that you should have had travel insurance. We had purchased insurance, but there will be no payout to cover our non-refundable costs such as hotel in Vancouver and shore excursions purchased privately because a mechanical breakdown is not an insured risk according to our company.