We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwegian ffyods

London, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
275 reviews
Save Topic
Norwegian ffyods

We have never cruised before. We are thinkingof taking a p & o cruise on the Acura to the ffyods this cruise is in may and goes to the places we wanted to see ( we have had the Marco Polo recommended to us by a relative but it does not go to the ports we wanted to see. This cruise not in school hols so first question (if any one can help..) does anyone know what the ship is like when it is not the school hols ie many children?

If anyone has been on this cruise (Bergen, flam, gerieanger)can they give advice on good cabins either with balcony or outside window, and position on ship, we would like it as quiet and stable as possible. Also general recommendations about the ship or other wise. The only other ship is celebrity , did not get the same feel for this but not sure. The main point of the cruise is to see these places

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norwegian ffyods

The itinerary for the Azura cruise to the Fjords is almost identical to one we had on Celebrity Equinox. We are going again this weekend on Celebrity Eclipse to same ports as we enjoyed it so much. If the weather is kind and the conditions clear it is an exhilarating experience. May is more of a chance with the weather because it is their spring not summer.August would be more reliable weatherwise.Being a mountainous area the weather can be changeable and bleak and wet which rather takes the edge off the majestic scenery but when the sun shines the peace and tranquility of the grandeur before you is a spellbinding spectacle.

We pay extra for a balcony cabin because we like to leave the patio doors open for the fresh air and we like to sit out on the furnished private balcony for a read and a drink.In summer it stays light until 1am and is light again at 4.30 am. A cruise to the Fjords is so different to an ocean/sea cruise as you see plenty when the ship is sailing along the fjords.Families with children are not so attracted to Fjords cruises because the finer points are wasted on children who are more into manmade pleasures generally speaking.

The sailing conditions in the fjords are always smooth. For most comfort in the unlikely event of adverse summer weather in North Sea opt for a cabin midships and not on a high deck.

There is a considerable difference in quality between Azura which is 4/5* and Marco Polo 3* but then the latter is much cheaper.Marco Polo also sails out of Tilbury sometimes which saves you having to travel far to the departure port.

We have cruised on P&O more than once and Celebrity and we think Celebrity has an edge that justifies the slightly higher prices. But really it is the itinerary that matters most so you have already chosen well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norwegian ffyods

Thank you so much for the information it will be very useful

Violet

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norwegian ffyods

We've just returned from a weeks cruise on Azura to the Fjords. The stops were Stavanger, Skolden, Olden and Bergen. The itinerary changed as there were too many ships going in to Flam, so we didn't go there.

We were in cabin D207 (forward with a balcony). I cannot fault the cabin. Spacious, light and airy. I was very sea sick in the North sea on the way there, it was a force 7-8 and I don't know if I would have been any better in the middle of the ship. A number of passengers were ill, so position of the cabin may not have made a difference.

We were lucky with the weather in Norway. Whilst it wasn't hot (60 degrees) the sun was out for two days and the views were fantastic.. We were told that it had been very misty for the previous few weeks and that we had been lucky with the weather.

The ship was lovely. We had freedom dining, met some lovely people and the waiting staff were very attentive. There was plenty to do on the ship should we have wanted to be more active.

This was our first cruise experience and we are already discussing where to go next time!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norwegian ffyods

I can confirm the sailing conditions to Norway from Southampton in North Sea right through Sunday 1st September and the early hours of Monday were unpleasant. We were on Celebrity Eclipse which is about the same tonnage as Azura and although we don't suffer from seasickness (but always take Stugeron with us as a precaution) our cabin near the stern on Deck 6 was on its own roller coaster!

In 4 cruises across North Sea this was the first "crossing" that was unpleasant-and I guess unusual for this time of year. The weather for our day in Flam (Tuesday), Geiranger (Wednesday) was very pleasant and warm in the sun but Bergen (Monday) and Stavanger (Friday) were very wet. Alesund (Thursday) was a mixture. So I suppose 50% good is acceptable.

This was our 3rd cruise around the Fjords so I think that is it for us.But for a first cruise it is a lovely itinerary.

5. Re: Norwegian ffyods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 07:19