We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

We have been on more cruises than you can count on 2 hands so we are not newbies.Is it just me or does anybody else witness a marked change on the last night? Just disembarked Celebrity Eclipse 3 days ago.

You are already history on the last night. You have paid your gratuities,you have put your cases outside your stateroom and you are deflated because it is your last night.Then you have to contend with waiters who are going through the motions,an inferior menu and lukewarm food in the MDR.The cabin steward is no longer super-friendly. All the focus/attention is saved for the oncoming pax the next day. The bonhomie you have enjoyed is false.

I don't mind. I just wish it wasn't so obvious.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

I hear you !! Yes I have noticed that ... and the brush off when you're leaving the cabin for the last time.

Level Contributor
67 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

Hi we are sailing on 17 th Sept from San Fran with Princess. It is our third cruise and I know exactly what you mean. Yesterday's news today's chip paper !!! Never mind at least we know it is going to happen

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

Hmm, after seriously more cruises than I can count on several lines, I have to say, I have never really experienced what you are describing, at least not from staff members, either in the dining room or bartenders or room stewards. They all have seemed as genuinely caring as they had the entire week or two or three before. Even our dinners have always been quite good and usually longer than earlier in the cruise as everyone is chatting and saying final farewells and sharing contact info, and normally our waiters are involved in this also, and at times this has included the maitre'd as well .....Now, we ourselves are always a bit deflated, but are also always determined to enjoy our last evening on-board, and try to touch base with all those through the week or two or three that have made our trip so wonderful. Leaving the ship is always sad, but we know we will be cruising again soon, so it's bittersweet for us.

Sorry it seems that the staff are just waiting for you to get off at that point, that sounds like it would be a definite downer. At least you can always look forward to future cruises or other travels though.....

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,290 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

Yes, I can relate to that. I always wonder how it is that the cabin steward remembers your name all week, until the last morning, by which time it's been erased from their memory.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,144 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

We didn't experience anything of a reduction in service or standards on the last night but less than impressed that while we were having breakfast on the last morning the steward had been into my mother's cabin and changed the bedding ready for the next guests, the ones he'd taken off were left strewn across the floor..

As we had half an hour or more before the 8am deadline for vacating cabins, she might well have had a lie down before disembarking. Would he have changed the sheets again?

South Australia
Level Contributor
742 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

It doesn't surprise me that the sheets would be pulled off, as they have so much work to do. It does surprise me they replaced the sheets.

I haven't noticed much change, I think it is more my feeling of sadness at leaving than anything the crew does.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

Perhaps the modus operandi in Australasia is different to Europe.I feel my comments chimed with experienced N Hemisphere cruisers eg Susan and Dougo.I don't think I am super-sensitive.

South Australia
Level Contributor
742 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

And I was talking about a med cruise not an Australian one. Not sure why the super sensitive comment. My post was not denying your issue, I just thought it was more my perception of sadness than anything the crew had done.

Edited: 14 September 2013, 00:27
suffolk
Level Contributor
793 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

I have noticed this also, almost as if they are glad to see you go.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last night of the cruise-what a deflating experience.Again.

Succinctly put Patricia.I totally agree.