We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer- help!!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
First timer- help!!

My husband and I would like to try a cruise. Been to many islands, Europe , all thru Canada and USA, Mexico (Los Cabos).

A little leery - since I am so unfamiliar with this type of trip.

We would like to go to the southern islands (I think) unless you recommend another areas. Maybe San Juan as the port ( not necessary). Florida would be fine also

March 2014

7-9 days

4 or higher rating for ship.

balcony room

We are "young" 60 year olds.

Since we have to pay for flight also - a budget of 1300-1800.00 per person would be our limit.

Am I asking for too much ??????

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I research all my vacation to death but I don't have a lot of time !!!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer- help!!

You should consult a travel agent who specalises in cruises.You can do endless research yourself but there are too many potential pitfalls for first timers.Not especially about destinations more about ships/decks/cabins/mealtimes/departure ports/dates.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer- help!!

I am seeing a travel agent on Friday

Just looking for some personal advice.

Thanks

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer- help!!

Not sure where you are located but have a look at Oceania

Airfare is included in the pricing for North Americans not sure about the U.K.

More upscale cruises, no formal nights, mature passengers

you may need to extend to 10 nights if you can

Canada
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer- help!!

Thanks

We are Canadians but fly out of Detroit

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer- help!!

Hi Robinc9...... I agree lht28 have a look at Oceania they have some good deals at present. They are a wonderful cruise line you would not be disappointed they have excellent cabins, restaurants and staff the food & service 10 out of 10. I could not fault Oceania hope to sail away with them again in the future, Who ever you end up choosing happy sailing!

Ettalong Beach...
Level Contributor
107 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer- help!!

Robin as the others have mentioned have a look at Oceania have sailed with them twice, took my mother on Riviera earlier this year and she hasn't stopped talking about it. Its very relaxing, casual dressing no formal nights which is great. Dinner dressing as you would dress to go out to a restaurant at home. No shorts though of a night for males or females unless you eat at restaurant near pool area. Food is great & cabins glorious, have never done an organised tour with them as I think they are expensive, I organise my own sight seeing at ports. Also no extra charge for the speciality restaurants which other cruise lines do also bar fridge refilled everyday at no cost. Truly amazing service.

Kells

7. Re: First timer- help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:20