We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you manage the different currencies on Baltic Cruise?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Topic
How do you manage the different currencies on Baltic Cruise?

Sailing in 2014 to the Baltic and a followup visit to London. How do you manage all the currencies: Swedish Krona, Danish Krone, Latvian Lats, Euros, British Pounds, Russian Rubles, USD?

The cruise ports are as follows:

Copenhagen, Berlin, Riga, Visby Sweden, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallin and Stockholm and followup in London.

Will most vendors take the Euro; change small USD to local currency at local currency exchanges; use credit card?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you manage the different currencies on Baltic Cruise?

We get a bit of each currency

Russia the private guide will usually take USD but check first ..the market vendors will also or in the shops use your CC

Some places may take Euro i think in Copenhagen they will take Euro or DKK

We also take a debit card that if need be we can get more local currency ..the account has minimal amount in it just incase it get skimmed

I use a different bank than my other accounts for this travel account

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,622 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you manage the different currencies on Baltic Cruise?

Sailing in 2014 to the Baltic and a followup visit to London. How do you manage all the currencies:

Swedish Krona - some places took Euro and USD - especially port side.

Danish Krone - I took DKK and didn't see any signs in any shops saying they would take other currencies but it would be worthwhile asking

Latvian Lats - didn't go there

British Pounds - definitely need GBP in the UK

Russian Rubles - as LHT said, check with your guide. In the Hermitage and in food stores - Roubles but your guide should be able to exchange crisp new USD for Roubles. We paid our guide in USD at her request but they had to be new notes only.

London, England
Level Contributor
9,129 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you manage the different currencies on Baltic Cruise?

We did a Baltic cruise in September and found almost everywhere took Euros. In some places I just used my CC which doesn't have any charges for using it abroad.

We had booked a 2 day tour in SPB and found we didn't need to spend any extra money as lunch with drinks was included. Apart from an excursion to Gdansk and SPB we did all our other ports of call on our own.

Here in the UK you will need GBP.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you manage the different currencies on Baltic Cruise?

Great advice from everyone. Thank you!

5. Re: How do you manage the different currencies on Baltic Cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 05:17