We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shore excursions around the Med

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
shore excursions around the Med

Hi my wife and i are booked on a 24 day HAL cruise from Barcelona in August and am surprised at the high cost of shore excursions offered by HAL ,noticed a company called cruiseexcursions offer much cheaper prices but the forum seems to be anything but complimentary about them.

As we are first time travelers and over 70 are we better off biting the bullet and paying the high cost or is there an honest person out there who has used them without problems.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,767 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shore excursions around the Med

Hi 827vic - welcome to the TA forum!

I've read many of the reviews for cruisingexcursions.com here on the forum (but I haven't used them) and I do feel that there are a lot of honest opinions expressed on those threads.

The reason for the mixed reviews is because this company contracts out to local tour companies, some people get lucky with good tours, others are less fortunate. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on them, but others feel it's worth the gamble.

You can arrange tours on your own with private companies - doing them in a small group (e.g. 8 people) will be more affordable than with just you and your wife. It will probably be close to the cost (sometimes less) than a bus tour through the ship, but possibly more expensive than cruisingexcursion.com. One place to find others on your cruise - and hopefully someone who is looking to share tours with others - is on Cruise Critic Roll Calls.

Here's a link to the forum for the ship that I think you're cruising on: …cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php… Scroll down on that page to find the date for your cruise.

Another way to do small tours in Italy with a reputable company is via http://www.romeinlimotoursharing.com/

This company is often recommended on the Italy forum at Cruise Critic. Here's a link to the Mediterranean forums there - this is a good place to get information from others regarding the ports that you'll be visiting:

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

You mention being first time travellers, so I don't know what your comfort level would be with exploring some ports on your own - but I would look into that if you are trying to economize. (This is our favourite way of touring in ports whenever possible.) A guide book on Mediterranean cruise ports would help you determine if there are ports that you can explore on your own - your local library might have these books, but if not, have a look at amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Mediterranean-Cruise-…

Fortunately, you have a good amount of time to make a decision on how to explore in ports and if you enjoying researching - it can be a lot of fun!

Good luck with your plans and don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

Susan

Edited: 02 January 2014, 13:40
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shore excursions around the Med

Hi Guys.

As Susan has said above.

All you have to do is join your ROLL CALL for your particular cruise and book private tours with other cruisers going with you on the ship. Much more comfortable, personalized and cost effective.

Enjoy your Med cruise, you will love it.

Cheers Bob.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: shore excursions around the Med

Susan thankyou very much for taking the time to respond and provide such valuable information,can,'t see us doing tours on our own i would be terrified we would miss the boat so will follow up your other suggestions Regards 287 vic

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: shore excursions around the Med

Hi Bob thanks for the hint will follow up VIC

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: shore excursions around the Med

We used crusingexcursions.com for our Disney Magic trip. Personally, I was VERY dissapointed with the Rome Classic Private Tour and the private Florence Tour. We spend a significant amount extra for the private tour and I spent the majority of my time planning the trip on the phone. At no time was I told that a PRIVATE TOUR meant only an english speaking driver. There was a link on the site, but it was never discussed.

The first thing he said to me was that he had to stay with the car and we might not be able to get into the FORUM.

When I returned I complained to crusing excurions when I got home, they told me they had delivered the driver and had not committed to a tour guide.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY - their lack of customer service is deplorable!

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: shore excursions around the Med

we used a company called Romecabs on three occasions on our recent trip around the Med at Livorno(Pisa)

Rome and Naples (sorrento) and they were marvelous ,the drivers were very good and had a great knowledge of the areas we traveled and our communication with their office was first class .I would recommend them to anyone .

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shore excursions around the Med

Suggestions for company doing shore excursions Mediterranean for 2 adults?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,767 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shore excursions around the Med

Weekenders - if you're going to do independent shore excursions, it's best to book directly with the tour company or private driver. Therefore it will vary from port to port who you do your excursions with, although there are some companies within certain countries who offer shore excursions at more than one port in the country.

Researching on the destination forums here for the places that you'll be visiting might turn up some suggestions, as will the Ports of Call forum on TA's sister site, Cruise Critic: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
581 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shore excursions around the Med

Susan M's guidance is very sound. We recently returned from a multi-port Med cruise and all our excursions were booked directly with local providers who did a great job, customized the excursions to our interests, and were entirely professional. How did we find them? We looked at the "Ports" section of Cruise Critic. We looked at the specific cities on Trip Advisor, read posts that had been made, and asked questions if we could not find what we were looking for. Everyone on both sites was generous in giving us ideas, tips and recommendations. Then we Googled these providers and contacted them to make our arrangements. My feeling is that if they don't have a reliably working website, tour providers are not really ready for business.

Just for your info, these providers at the following ports were outstanding.

Lefteris in Crete is your man. Fantastic tour in a Mercedes for 6 hours, at about 100 per person. The guide (Yannis) works for Lefteris and listened to our interests and showed us this island accordingly. He will answer any questions you have about Crete and Greece intelligently, honestly and with a great sense of pride.

Ali Baba in Kusadasi, $50 per person for a trip to Ephesus, a 600-year-old mosque, and through the countryside - about 4 hours. Again, answered all questions about Turkey openly, including questions about politics, ISIS, difficult neighbouring countries.

Romeinlimo. Terrific, reliable. Just tell them what you want.

10. Re: shore excursions around the Med

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 18:35
Edited: 04 January 2015, 18:35