We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

Hello,

Has anyone experienced on any cruise line an overreaction to the norovirus/stomach flu?

My 7 year old vomited one time from an upset stomach. He ate too much and was running around. He did not have diarrhea or a temperature and was fine after he vomited.

We were asked to take him down to see the nurse. I had to complete a form, they took my son's sea pass, they checked his temperature which was normal. The next thing I knew, I was told my son had to stay in his cabin for 24 hours, he was to be quarantined. I asked, "for an upset stomach?" The nurse told me that kids do not experience vomiting or diarrhea with an upset stomach. I said he only vomited once and did not have diarrhea. She told me the captain and CDC take this really seriously. My husband and son stayed back in their room on Oasis of the Seas and we did not get to spend any family time together on St. Thomas. It was New Year's Eve and we could not enjoy the day. No one on Royal's ship could tell me how they distinguish between someone vomiting from an upset stomach, motion sickness or the norovirius. I understand that they have to protect their passengers and staff but a one time vomit with no other symptoms is overreacting. Moms tend to overreact and want the best for their child. As a mom, I can assure you that I would of done what what best for my son if he was truly sick and contagious. I know the difference between an upset stomach and the stomach flu. I wish trained medical staff, did as well. I do not want compensation from Royal Caribbean. I want someone in their organization to re-evaluate policies.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

That is unfortunate, but I have to "side" with RCI on this one. Noro spreads like wildfire on ships (and elsewhere of course) and it is in the ships best interest to be proactive. As vomiting is one of the signs, they do take immediate precautions to protect everyone onboard. While you know your son's health better, they only have symptoms and your word to go by, and have to take the best course for all onboard, which usually is quarantine. I am sorry you guys experienced this and missed out somewhat on the celebrations, but overall, better safe than sorry. I have been onboard cruises that have had noro outbreaks, and it really does change the cruise for everyone, not just those affected. Personally, your story makes me feel better about our cruises on RCI, that they are so proactive to prevent potential outbreaks. Again, sorry for your missing out for the day, but better overall than having a potential outbreak.

All the best....

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

One can't criticise Royal Caribbean for exercising caution. If it had been norovirus, isolating your child would hopefully prevent many other passengers from contagion.If it wasn't, then only one family has been inconvenienced. It's a balanced judgment in favour of the significant majority.

We were on a Princess cruise that encountered severe weather on our outbound crossing of Bay of Biscay.Force 10 bordering 11 and 40ft waves. Many passengers and crew were seasick some in public places,very few diners in waiter restaurant and entertainment cancelled. Passengers with cabins near the stern were told to vacate them and spend the night in public areas midships.That's serious.Norovirus broke out the day after the bad crossing and at the end of the cruise Sea Princess was isolated in a repair dock for complete steam clean disinfection and the next cruise cancelled at 24 hrs notice. That was 8 years ago. These days the tendency is to do a quick clean through maybe delay the first day departure and hope for the best with a Code Red adjustment. Pity for the poor people following on.

Good for Princess at a significant cost to their operation.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,580 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

I agree with reedprincess ... just think if the opposite had happened and he was said to be A-OK but he really wasn't ?

With children and elderly people you can't be too careful with stomach bugs and what may be potentially highly contagious.

You were lucky the only person required to be confined was your son, tho' understandably you would not leave him by himself ... you ALL could have been confined to your cabin as we were when our grandson picked up nits from kids in the shark club on P&O, the cabin was fumigated, a small fortune spent on solutions to get rid of the nits ... and that was a special night on the ship which he was really looking forward to.

Ballybofey, Ireland
Level Contributor
712 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

Hi. I have to agree with the OP that this was an overrreaction by the nurse...BUT...they are terrified of a Noro outbreak on the ship which could soon have ruined the cruise for many more passengers and, importantly, cost the cruiseline a huge amount of revenue. These days, we are often faced by massive reaction to apparently minor threats, e.g airport security...but I'm grateful for that. My friend's family were isolated on a flight at Atlanta airport after a transatlantic because one of the kids was quite sick on the flight, they were faced with staff in anti infection suits. It was quite scary for them. Sorry your trip was ruined though but glad the little fella did not have Noro. Ken

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

One has to understand that the USA is a haven for lawyers and litigation. If someone caught an ailment attributable to another patient and the ships staff took no action to prevent just think what the hue and cry would have been and how much money lawyers would make suing all and sundry.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

My husband & I were on the Princess ship 2 years ago this week that had the norovirus & be very glad that you & your family did not have it on your RC cruise. Anyone vomiting warrants a quarantine just to avoid spreading germs if you do have norovirus. Fortunately, we did not get sick, but about every other cabin on our deck had infected passengers including our cabin steward. It was so bad that we were never allowed off the ship, never got to port & turned around mid-cruise to go back. Over reaction, NO! And, I haven't cruised since then & not so sure I will in the future.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

I understand it is better to be safe than sorry and that the norovirus/stomach flu is contagious. I experienced it about 4 years ago with my family.

I just think the cruise lines should advise you they basically have a no vomit policy. This way if you know you get motion sickness or you have little kids with sensitive stomachs, you are aware what will happen if they vomit on a cruise ship. I will not pay money again to go on a cruise with my young kids knowing they have sensitive stomachs if they have too many sweets and run around.

The nurse on the cruise ship reported my son as having the norovirus which he did not have.

I see the recent news stories of ships turning around because of the outbreaks but how many people actually have norovirius, how many people had motion sickness from the choppy waters and how many were vomiting due to other things?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,580 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

kgcolorado16

Wow !! What a terrible time you had. I hope they refunded you in full

Which ship was this ?

I think you were very lucky to have escaped from getting Norovirus and it just goes to show how vigilent you must be in washing your hands etc.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

Over the past couple of days an RCL cruise ship has had 300 people come down with Novovirus so one can understand why they may get twitchy

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overreaction to Norovirus on Royal Caribbean

We took the Mexican Riviera cruise one time and my wife, son and I all got sick. In the other ships we've been to, they had hand sanitizers at the entrance of the restaurants. This particular ship did not. When we called and inquired corporate about this, we were told ALL their ships have them. When we told them that particular ship didn't and got sick, she all of a sudden changed her story now saying it was at the discretion of the captain! What a joke!!!

We've since been to two other cruises with other cruise lines (Celebrity and Holland America) and they were clean and wonderful.

BTW, while we were quarantined and could only order through room service, we were also given drinking glasses with lipstick marks and utensils that were not really clean and grapes with mold.

This incident now with Oasis of the Seas heading back to New Jersey because about 600 passengers and crew got sick, am really wondering if it was really caused by a sick passenger or just the LACK OF SANITATION on the part of Royal Caribbean.