We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for an April 13th Mediterranean cruise

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
What to pack for an April 13th Mediterranean cruise

I'm going on a cruise to Italy and Greece, departing Rome April 13, 2014 and am wondering how I should pack for touring and formal evenings? For touring, should I expect the daytime to be hot or on the cool side at this time of year? Regarding formal evenings, I've been on cruises in the past and worn both cocktail and full length outfits, but currently are women tending to wear cocktail dresses rather than full length gowns for formal nights now?

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for an April 13th Mediterranean cruise

For daytime layers are the answer.April weather is unreliable.For formal on Med cruises ladies seem to be wearing less stuffy gear these days,Trousers and spangly tops seem popular .Full length gear is still de rigeur on Cunard transatlantic but in the Med in the past ten years I have seen a more relaxed approach to formal nights.

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for an April 13th Mediterranean cruise

Your reply was very helpful. Thank you.

glasgow
Level Contributor
11 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for an April 13th Mediterranean cruise

In the Med in April you can have very mixed weather and it can be cold at night, especially when at sea. I would take layers, a pacamac waterproof and a fleece just in case. I had to buy one in the Canary Islands in April as I was freezing. Unless you feel the heat very easily jeans and tee shirts/strappy tops and a cardigan are good for shore excursions. Locals will generally not be in shorts in April except maybe in Greece. I think almost anything goes on formal nights, I like to dress up but have worn cocktail dresses more recently than full length dresses, if you have a long not too formal dress then that would work too. A bit of sparkly jewellery and trousers and a top are also not out of place. RC and Celebrity are a bit more dressy than say NCL or Thomsons ships I would say. Make sure you take good walking shoes and sandals as you will walk miles in port!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for an April 13th Mediterranean cruise

I'm cruising the med in two weeks time and the other posters are right, weather can be unpredictable. For day time I'm taking trousers and tops with a couple of sweaters plus a warm jacket which can be worn to travel in.

Good walking shoes are essential too. For evenings I'm taking a couple of black evening skirts that l can pair off with a few different tops plus two cocktail dresses for formal wear.

On my last cruise to the med last November only a handful of ladies wore long gowns.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack for an April 13th Mediterranean cruise

Layers would be a good idea at that time of year.

Day time, on board, tee shirts, shorts or trousers, or a nice linen skirt, a light sweater/cardigan. Similar for port days, with the addition of a rain mac (and umbrella) or cruise jacket.

On formal evenings I feel it's still nice to dress up, and if you don't want too you'll be in the minority, however that of corse is up to the individual.

One previous Mediterranean cruise we took was 7 - 21 April, was fantastic, the weather beautiful, warm and sunny. We didn't need rain macs, but were prepared!

Loris be, you'll be shortly on your cruise, have a great holiday, let us know how you got on please!

6. Re: What to pack for an April 13th Mediterranean cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:27