We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrity Equinox Formal attire

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrity Equinox Formal attire

For formal nights do you need a tie. I am hoping to wear a nice golf shirt, slacks and a sport jacket rather than a dress shirt and tie.

Thanks for your help.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrity Equinox Formal attire

You won't be turned away from the waiter restaurant wearing that outfit.Only you will know if you will feel out of place if your male dining companions are wearing neckties.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrity Equinox Formal attire

This vexed situation has become a talking point across all cruise lines as to what is termed formal and what is not. It would appear from comments I have read recently about Celebrity is provided you have a jacket , collared shirt, trousers and shoes you are deemed to be formally dressed. I guess smart casual is with or without jacket. There are reports circulating that one can attend formal nights without even a jacket. We are cruising on the Solstice next year and I am trying to ascertain apart from putting on one's best bib and tucker what is so special about formals nights. Do they have a special menu or special entertainment or is too much being made about a tradition going back to the twenties.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 02:06
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrity Equinox Formal attire

Good question beanb. We were on Eclipse (which is Celebrity Solstice Class) 4 months ago on a Norwegian Fjords cruise. My experiences of formal nights for which I wore a blazer-type jacket with dark trousers a collared sky blue or cream shirt and silk tie. We dined every night (Anytime Dining) in MDR.

Almost anything goes with the exception of shorts,sleeveless vests, barefeet and sandals.Some denim seen,some polo shirts without ties but in a tiny minority.More lounge suits than dinner suits or tuxedos and overall smartish but unstuffy. No special menu on formal nights however it is seen as a photo-opportunity with backdrop screens and studio type lighting for portraits at significant cost with or without the Master whom you may wish to be introduced to.

Overall we enjoyed the MDR experience.What I do appreciate on Celebrity is a few quality standard dishes available every night lest any of the dishes of the day don't appeal. Always filet mignon,salmon steak,a veggie entree on the standards list.But my oh my the prices of wines available in MDR are eye-watering.But that's Celebrity,no more expensive than Royal Caribbean and I knew what to expect.

Celebrity is our favourite cruise line.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrity Equinox Formal attire

As an update to my enquiry. I wore a nice sport jacket, dress shirt and tie with dress shoes and this was sufficient. There were many gentlemen with the same attire also suits and a few tuxedos.

Great cruise on Celebrity Equinox.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebrity Equinox Formal attire

We are from Oz and as we were on an 8 week holiday I was a tad worried about this as there were 3 formal nights on our 12 day cruise from Venice.

Most of the shipmates on Celebrity are American and only seem to do a cruise then back home so are happy to carry dinner jackets and all the bumf that goes with them.

I bought a decent cream coloured pair of trousers from Trade Secret costing $55. I also bought a good black long sleeved shirt costing about the same.

We were in the Aqua Class which allowed us to enter the Blue Room and without exception I was allowed in both the Blue Room and the more formal restaurant on level 4 (can't remember the name).

The only time I was stopped was when I wore a pair of really expensive shorts and tried to get into the Blue Room. It was a try-on from me and full marks to the staff.

To be honest I was a bit taken aback that once (when we turned up early on the last formal) some of the punters were wearing jeans and a t-shirt but they disappeared quick smart so we thought it was probably some of the staff just getting their meal early.

Precis? Celebrity Cruises don't appear to be too strict on formal wear which is great when some of the customers are unable to pack dinner jackets just for a short cruise.

6. Re: Celebrity Equinox Formal attire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15