We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

Thoughts please? We're a couple in our fifties wanting to book a cruise from Sydney to the South Pacific that will encompass Christmas...around 9-12 days. We don't want to be on a 'party' type ship, or one that's overrun with kids (not that we don't like kids; just looking for a quieter atmosphere). Have looked at Celebrity Century, RC Voyager/Radiance and Carnival Spirit/Legend.

Does anyone have recommendations/tips about any of these ships? And is it a 'must ' to have a balcony for a South Pacific cruise? We did an Alaskan cruise with HAL last year (first-timers) and just had a window, as it would have been too cold to sit outside anyway.

Also, what happens on a cruise ship on Christmas Day? Will there be 'Christmassy' stuff going on? Even though we will be away from our family we would still enjoy a festive atmosphere for Christmas.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
188 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

Hi Melbourne,

Seriously, check into Oceania, Crystal, Seabourn, Regent.

Simply ... you get what you pay for.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

Thank you Sparky....two issues! Firstly none of those cruise lines have any South Pacific cruises departing Sydney in December. Secondly and just as importantly for us....those lines you mention are wonderful to be sure, but WAY out of our price range, seriously! One day when we win the lottery we may find ourselves on a Seabourn or equivalent, but until then we'll settle for mid-price range......:)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

Have a look at P&O, Carnival, Princess and RCI to see what is being offered from Sydney. P&O is considered 3 star with Princess & RCI much better and they tend to cater for a more mature age group. I haven't cruised with carnival yet but they appear to be more geared toward families and the younger generation.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,565 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

I would forget P&O - too many kids and too many out for a party ...

Also I would forget Carnival too - it would be overrun with children - from what I understand there are no restrictions as to the number of children allowed on board.

Princess and Celebrity will most likely be suited to your demographic and perhaps a smaller RCI ship ... the RCI rep in Sydney told me that Voyager was a party ship and even tho' I was on her for a short time, I would have to agree with that ... he recommended Celebrity if not wanting to get into that scene.

Once you've decided, book ASAP as I'm sure the ship will fill up fast and you may not get your pick of the cabins.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 12:50
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

What about flying to PPT then sailing on Paul Gauguin or Princess from there

It may have less children or not

Holiday cruises do attract more families

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
188 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

Sorry I thought Oceania worked the South Pacific that time of year.

Before saying these lines are out of your range please do have a look at what you get. The lines mentioned are pretty much all inclusive. The big ships and volume lines offer the great up front price and then dollar you to death as you have to pay for everything. Also for example, Oceania fares include flights.

Otherwise I hope you win a lotto!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

SPARKY

The OP is from OZ Oceania does not include flights for them (usually)

Only for North Americans

sometimes they offer a deal with flights for UK passengers

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
188 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

Oops iht28 I forgot about that little hiccup. Thanks

I was at an Oceania presentation this week, their Rep presented a price comparison for 10 day cruise for them along side HAL & NCL. All 3 were within $500Cdn of each other when factoring on board spend.

I do buy it as our last Seabourn we had zero on board account at the end.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

Sparky

Interesting

I do not compare anymore just stick with what we like LOL

Oceania is not Seabourn

Edited: 15 March 2014, 02:30
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas cruise South Pacific for couple in 50's?

Thank you everyone for all your input....particularly DougoOz; I have been reading many of your posts on TA and you always offer sensible, relevant advice. We're just about to book the Celebrity Century sailing from Sydney on 22 December. We like the itinerary offered, and the ship is not too big, so hopefully will suit us just fine.

Sparky...we were fortunate enough to visit the beautiful city of Vancouver last year before and after an Alaskan cruise. What a lovely place for you to live! We had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves, and hope to visit again while our daughter is still working in the Rockies.