We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Please Baltic cruise

London, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Advice Please Baltic cruise

We are leaving shortly on aCelebrity Cruise from Amsterdam, stopping at Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki Tallin, Stockholm and St. Petersburg.(Not in that order!) Would appreciate advice on what the temperatures are likely to be in mid August, and any other advice that might help us to enjoy the trips.

We have booked some shore excursions, especially in St Petersburg, We are healthy, and reasonably mobile, but not young. and are a little concerned that they might be too tiring. Don't want to miss anything!

Any advice really appreciated

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Please Baltic cruise

Clare,

My sister and son went with me on a Baltic cruise with NCL in May/June timeframe departing Dover Pier. We stopped at Warnemunde to take a train ride to Berlin with Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin Wall (what's left) sites. Not much open due to German holiday. Then to Tallin, Estonia. Great medieval type city from the old Soviet Union. You don't need to pay ship excursion, walking is easy to see the best parts and we had a nice and inexpensive lunch there.

St Petersburg is crowded! We toured to St Catherine Palace and the Hermitage in one day. No air condition in the buildings and wall to wall people. Still worth the visits tho I would suggest doing one each day instead of both in the same day. You need Visa in Russia to go it alone. Lots of crime if you aren't careful.

Ah, Helsinki is a delight! Check out the Rock Church, really remarkable. We sat at an outside cafe and had a drink and people watched. Everyone was out due to the nice sunny day and ice cream evrywhere! :) Days are very long with almost no night due to the location and they only have about 4 months of non-winter. Very clean and pristiine place.

Stockholm is nice but we took the ship excursion to the VASA and city hall. Total waste in our opinion. You can walk from the ship to neighboring partsa of Stockholm for a nice lunch and getting a feel for the locale.

Copenhagen, Denmark. They push Tivoli Gardens with a canal boat ride. We thought it was not so good. Tivoli Gardens is nothing more than a miniature Disney World. The Little Mermaid has been vandalized many times but close enough to visit but beware of many pickpockets in the area. We got constant warnings on this.

Temps in most places during our stay was mid 50's and quite nice. I expect August to be slightly warmer but not much . Take a windbreaker that you can tie around your waist and a small fold up umbrellla tho we only had rain while in Berlin.

You are going to some wonderful places! Enjoy!

BTW I am 69, my sister 70 with 2 knee replacements and my son 48 with ALS. You can do it!

2. Re: Advice Please Baltic cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 14:18