We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival cruise tipping con

Peterborough UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival cruise tipping con

Has anyone else experienced the con of being advised that gratuities up-front payment was mandatory, but with on-board adjustment available if service was below (or indeed above) expectations - only to find when on-board the rules have changed? My wife & I booked with Carnival USA to go from Barbados in March. The numerous examples of poor service caused us to want to reduce the gratuities to zero, yet we were unable to - this despite having an email at the time of booking which said we could. Protests both on-board and subsequently in numerous letters, emails & phone calls have resulted in bland unhelpful replies from Carnival. How can they take $70 each from us, confirm we could remove/reduce it if required (in writing) & then change the rules? All they offered was a small reduction on our next Carnival cruise - that's a cruise which we'll never go on - once is enough.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

a little late now but as i understand it reductions or removal of auto tips is generally done at the front desk during the cruise

Peterborough UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

Thanks Lougee. Thats what we thought, but they said they wouldn't/couldn't do so, because we paid them in advance - something we were informed we had no option on. So despite having written confirmation that we could do so, in fact we couldn't. Nor will they correct this afterwards. Not happy.

Toronto
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

My friends and I will also never go on another Carnival cruise. We were stuck in San Juan in March for two days when everyone on the ship missed their flights out because of a failed propellor. They put us up in a hotel which was nice but isolated and paid for food. They refused to cover any other expenses such as telephone calls home and to work to inform people and rearrange schedules. We even had to pay for the initial phone call from the ship. We all lost two days vacation.

The food was below par and there was very little entertainment. Never again.

FLORIDA
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

CONNED!!! My wife and I took our First and LAST Carnival(thank-God it was for only three days ) cruise in July 2006.

Room up-grade never materialize, my wife slept on the floor/dirty at that! since we could not clib up the bunk bed ladder.

Room was dirty as we left port. We asked to PAY for a room up-grade was told non available???

We where give an inside room by the elevator on ther Riveria deck. The hall-way and room reeked of raw sewege. The toilet would not flush Sunday AM.

The staff on this ship looked like a real unhappy lot, just going thru the motions. Using any attempt to part you from your $$$. From pretending to offer you a colorful "welcome" coctail, to billing you for a expensive drink void of say 1/2 ounce of alcohol. What a Racket!!

The ship was OLD AND DATED. The crew ignorant to customer complaints. I contacted Carnival twice, e-mail, letter, and have not heard from them as of today, and don't expect to.

This cruise line is organized crime! once you depart on one of their ships you are " captured" until they let you off.

SHIP??? CARNIVAL FACINATION

Seattle, WA
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

Did you call your Travel Agent? Sometimes the Agent can contact the DSM and have some resolution for the client. With Carnival you have to complain at the time of service and I understand that you may be hesitant to do that since it could make the rest of your trip uncomfortable.

Linda

FLORIDA
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

Hello, we used and internet travel agency/ HOT-WIRE. We where told that " if we had read the small print on the end of the disclosure" , that we would of seen that the 2-4 class upgrade, " was due to AVAILABILITY at the descrition of the cruise line".

OK, they got us there.

But to see that one of us had to sleep on the floor/dirty and damp? and to tell us NO upgade was available for a PRICE ( PAYING FOR) is TOTALLY unexcusable.

Had to make 4 cell phone calls to Hotwire, they kept putting us on hold then diconnecting. Finally they did reach Carnival, and we where told of the "small print".

This ship being so affordable, is populated by a lower socioecnomic class. I guess this gives CARNIVAL /purser, information, some sort of right to be RUDE AND IGNORANT.

Or, possibly these people are TRAINED to respond in the way they did. HORRIBLE!!

In answer to your question, YES we did try to reach and agreement with the CARNIVAL IN CHARGE STAFF. Like talking to a wall!

Jax Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

My husband and I took a 4 day trip on the Carnival Fantasy. We found the accomadation above what we expected. The staff always plesant, and service wonderful. Our cabin was always clean, from the moment we boarded. till we left. We booked and payed for the room we wanted, as upgrades are not a sure thing.

Minnesota
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

Ok I dont care how bad your back is... For a man to let their wife sleep on the floor whill he sleeps on the bed because he is to damn lazy to get up to the top bunk is bogus.

You give up tooooo easily. Who told you to get a bunk bed in the first place. If you were smart you would have known this before hand and switched out. Upgrades happen right away when you book your cruise. You know if you got an upgrade or not!!

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
494 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

Have used Carnival and would use them again. To the one poster, a $400 cruise - sometimes you get what you pay for.

To Ian: It's unfortunate but have known plenty of people that were able to receive adjustments (both up and down) on board. I know that is of little help to you now. I wonder if your expectations may have been a touch too high as I've never been on a cruise that I wanted to leave zero tips. Maybe I've been lucky . . . . .

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival cruise tipping con

We are going on Carnival Destiny in May and I am starting to get really worried! We are supposed to be getting a free upgrade, I wil chekc my booking to make sure we have got it as we wanted to lay extra at the tiem of booking but were told we did not need t? Any suggestion on what we shoud do to avaoid probelms woudl be gratefully recieved.