We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santiago for 2 night

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Santiago for 2 night

Hi

We are arriving into Valparaíso from a Panama Canal Cruise. Being a first time cruiser we are unsure what time we would be embarking but would imagine about 9ish. I have been looking at tours in and around Valparaiso but have transport to our hotel in Santiago and if a tour was to be done from the port we would have to take our luggage. Has anyone any suggestions on what would be more convenient and what would be the highlights of the 2 days, as we want to see as much as possible while in Santiago.

Kind regards

PD

Canberra
Level Contributor
634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santiago for 2 night

Sorry I missed the bit where you said you already have your transfers organised so my post is probably not very helpful. This company does do half day and full day tours as well though. I would contact a number of tour companies and say you would have your luggage to see what they suggest.

We disembarked in Valparaiso and were picked up at the dock for an all day winery tour, ending in Santiago. We were flying on to Buenos Aires so were dropped off at the airport, but our friends were staying in Santiago so they were taken to their hotel. The tour was good although the pick up was late and we spent a lot of time visiting Valparaiso itself (very interesting) and as we had to catch a plane, we were then pressed for time at the the three wineries. We chose not to have lunch as it would have added too much time to our tour.

I cannot remember the actual name of the tour (maybe Wine Tours Valparaiso? I think the guy's name was Michael). It worked quite well, apart from the late start.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 04:34
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santiago for 2 night

Thanks for your reply, I take it you did have luggage, its just that some threads and info I have seen some people take a carry on. I will do a search for Wine Tours but if you could email me with the email address or any info regarding Michael that would be very helpful.

thanks again for your reply.

Kind regards

PD

Canberra
Level Contributor
634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santiago for 2 night

Hi PD, yes we had luggage. There were four of us and had just come off 14 days on Celebrity Infinity rounding the Cape, so a suitcase and carry on each. It's been a couple of years and I have deleted the email address I had but when I did a quick search before, the Valparaiso Wine Tours seemed to be the right guy we used. Also have a look over on Cruise Critic (Ports of Call - South America) to see if there are recommendations. I saw someone post that Southexcursions were good.

Have a look at Tripadvisor forums as well (South America - Chile - Valparaiso) as I saw a number of threads that might be useful for you.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a tour that suits you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santiago for 2 night

Thanks so much for all the great information, I will have a look at both your suggestions.

Thanks again PD

Ashington, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santiago for 2 night

Hi change of topic

We are going on our first "proper"cruise on celebrity infinity. Was wondering about the alcohol beverage package I would say we are average drinkers but after all this is a holiday. Any advice, such as is it worth buying the package or is it better to go it alone ? Thank you in anticipation x

Canberra
Level Contributor
634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santiago for 2 night

To give our view on your question, we have looked at drink packages I think for every cruise we have been on and have never actually bought one. Celebrity had the 1,2,3 promotion with one of the choices a regular package (upgradable to premium) but we haven't booked under it so if we had a package it would have been prepaid.

Basically we worked out that we could probably never manage to break even on a package. Our last few cruises have been as Elite level with pre-dinner drinks but even without that we worked out that we would need to drink far more than we usually would. Don't forget port days mean less time on the ship. A few full day tours makes a big difference, We did BA to Valparaiso on Infinity and were off the ship for full days most of the time. I think there were only 2 or 3 actual sea days. Premium packages are about $50 pppd so if you are not there, that's a big catch-up the next day.

Coffee is included; cappuccino and latte for example as well as fresh juices etc but I cannot physically drink that much liquid, let alone alcohol.

For two of us on a 2 week cruise we were looking at about $1500 for a package - our total onboard spend was not a great deal more than this on Infinity and that included coffees, wines, cocktails etc. as well as onboard shopping.

The main reason we have considered a package is not so much as a way to save money but as a convenience, not having to sign each time (though I have heard of some cases where you still have to sign a zero bill, maybe they are after increased tips.

Anyway, that's my take on the situation but others love the packages and would not cruise without one.

My advice is to check the prices of drinks/coffee/juice and work out how many you would be likely to drink each day of the cruise. Then factor in whether convenience is the important thing. Don't forget you can buy the package once on board and not just on the first day - it is pro-rata from when you buy, so maybe you could see how it goes first then decide if you want one.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 10:07
7. Re: Santiago for 2 night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 07:16