We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

Level Contributor
594 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

I am looking at booking a cruise on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur out of New Orleans in early '07.........I have heard it can be rough going in and out of New Orleans (not looking at hurricane season!)

We are looking at inside cabins -- we do tend toward sea sickness.

I know to look for center ship locations and have heard that lower deck is better - I did have an experience on another ship and was one of the few not to get ill on deck 7 vs friends on deck 2 getting ill.

Any of you cruised this particular ship before?

Or - any out of New Orleans? We have not cruised from New Orleans so have no experience with that port.

Right now it looks like our options are mainly deck 3 for center location - unless we upgrade to an ocean view.

thanks for any advice you can offer.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,133 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

Insure your cruise vacation with the best motion discomfort medication - Marezine. It is over the counter but you have to order it. My sweetie gets seasick in a plane, train, even a car but not on a cruise since we bring the Marezine. You can drink alcohol with it and it should not make you drowsy.

Bonine is second best we think.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,674 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

I agree with the previous poster the BEST thing to do to prevent motion sickness is to take medicationBEFORE you get seasick. You should start it the morning befor eyou get on the ship. You are right about the center of the ship and the lower down on th edecks. I prefer having a balcony cabin for the fresh air. My husband ,who gets more seasick than I prefers the balcony because he likes the open feeling. Did you know there are really 2 kinds of seasickness? One has to do with a nauseous feeling and one has to do with dizziness because of inner ear issues. My husband has the inner ear issues and he needs a whole day on board(even with meds) to get his body used to the motion of the ship. Then he is fine,BUT that first day he has probs. I have the nauseousness and the meds work perfectly for me.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

If it is one of the newer ships (@2002 or newer) then it will have computer controlled stabilizers which really do a fantastic job. You have to get in some pretty rough water to feel much motion.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,674 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

Hey Padre, ordinarily I would agree with you but I know my DH feels EVERYTHING, for the first day or so, no matter how gentle the motion! Amazing how sensitive some people are.

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

Mid-ship mid-deck will always be best for motion sickness. You may want to consider upgrading to OV. Looking at the horizon line can help. You can also try Sea Bands for a non-medicinal solution. Some pack Ginger Snaps or drink Ginger Ale, but this is of course an AFTER the fact treatment unfortunately. I've heard some people have had success with ginger tablets. If not feeling well in the cabin, go out on deck with the fresh air and look toward the horizon -- that should at least help for that moment.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

Hi,

We have sailed twice on the Grandeur. It's a lovely ship and one of my favorites. It is a mid-size ship. Our first cruise was the Eastern Caribbean and our 2nd was a Canada/New England cruise a couple of years ago.

We always pick an oceanview cabin (my husband won't do inside), mid-ship and on the lowest deck we can book. Never had a problem cruising w/ this location.

Our Canada/New England trip was rainy for 9 days so the Atlantic was a bit rough but nothing unmanageable. We really didn't feel the motion being on the bottom of the ship (I think it was Deck 2) (not kidding either).

We have also cruised into New Orleans on a Carnival ship in April. Cruising down that Mississippi River was something! Had no problems w/ rough seas or the river.

I think that Deck 3 mid-ship should be fine. If you don't mind an inside cabin, then go for that location. We cruised into New Orleans at night so couldn't see anything anyways. There are a lot of twists and turns the ship makes but it is a peaceful cruise (it was for us).

We loved New Orleans. That was b4 Katrina took hold. I would be curious to see what Bourbon St. looks like today. It was a hoot walking down that street w/ all the "madams" beckoning us into their "establishments". LOL

We took a cab w/ another couple to Pat O'Brien's Irish Bar, which is on the opposite end of Bourbon St. from the port. Very inexpensive ride. At that time, it was an indoor pub that served food and had a lovely outside bar/patio where we sat and had munchies. If you drink, try a "Hurricane". It comes in a huge tall souvenir glass that you can take home with you.

Give us a report when you return. Have a great trip. I wouldn't worry about your cabin, you will be fine!

May

Level Contributor
594 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

Thank you all for your responses. I do have sea bands and did use them on our last RCCL cruise - maybe that is why I was one of the few not to get ill. I have the other ginger products as well as Bonine -- so, fingers crossed it will be ok!

My TA booked us midship on deck 3 with a ocean view room - it did not matter to me - window or not, as I plan to only sleep there - one of the others wanted a window so that is what we all booked.

I am looking forward to the experience of traversing the Mississippi River - I am glad to know it is not a rough trip - just slow and twisty....should be quite interesting!

I live in La so have been to New Orleans a lot - but not since Katrina -- one of the gals going with us lives there.

I look forward to trying the Grandeur - we sailed on the Splendour last year.

Thanks again for your help!

8. Re: least feeling of movement on The Grandeur of the Seas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 22:20