We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for the perfect ship

Hampton Roads, VA
2 posts
Save Topic
looking for the perfect ship

All the information out there is overwhelming. We are planning to take a cruise in Jan. or Feb. We are a couple in our mid 40s and are not really interested in a ship with tons for kids to do. We will have no children with us and are looking forward to getting away from them for a week or more! We are more interested in a clean, pampering ship with elegance and good food. We aren't even what cruise line would be best for our needs. We are open minded about the destination. Any comments would be welcome!

thanks!

Ohio
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for the perfect ship

We are 41 and 42. Our first cruise was without our kids. As we have 5 kids and 2 were in college at the time, our funds were limited. We took a 5 night on the Carnival Celebration to the Caymans and Cozumel. It was an older ship but was clean and we had terrific service. No complaints whatsoever. Carnival offers a lot of kid and teen activities but there weren't an overabundance of minors when we went because if was mid May and most kids were in school.

We took kids the 2nd time. Again on a budget and Carnival is less expensive. Again, an older ship but clean and great food and service.

I'm going with some friends (no hubbies or kids) next month. I didn't get to go on our family vacation this past summer because I was doing clinicals in nursing school and couldn't take off. This trip is my graduation present to myself. We are going on Norwegian Cruise Lines - the Jewell. The trip is costing quite a bit more than I'm used to paying but it's a newer ship (you pay for that believe it or not) and a longer trip. Also, Southern and Eastern Caribbean seem to be more expensive than Western. If I remember, I'll post here after the trip.

I'm going to try to talk hubby into taking a Hawaii cruise, the one in which you fly to Hawaii then cruise the islands. Lots of land time (my only cruise complaint is not enough land time) and I haven't been there in 13 years.

Ohio
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for the perfect ship

We are 41 and 42. Our first cruise was without our kids. As we have 5 kids and 2 were in college at the time, our funds were limited. We took a 5 night on the Carnival Celebration to the Caymans and Cozumel. It was an older ship but was clean and we had terrific service. No complaints whatsoever. Carnival offers a lot of kid and teen activities but there weren't an overabundance of minors when we went because if was mid May and most kids were in school.

We took kids the 2nd time. Again on a budget and Carnival is less expensive. Again, an older ship but clean and great food and service.

I'm going with some friends (no hubbies or kids) next month. I didn't get to go on our family vacation this past summer because I was doing clinicals in nursing school and couldn't take off. This trip is my graduation present to myself. We are going on Norwegian Cruise Lines - the Jewell. The trip is costing quite a bit more than I'm used to paying but it's a newer ship (you pay for that believe it or not) and a longer trip. Also, Southern and Eastern Caribbean seem to be more expensive than Western. If I remember, I'll post here after the trip.

I'm going to try to talk hubby into taking a Hawaii cruise, the one in which you fly to Hawaii then cruise the islands. Lots of land time (my only cruise complaint is not enough land time) and I haven't been there in 13 years.

Kent UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for the perfect ship

A clean, elegant ship with good food spells Regent Seven Seas Cruising to me. Add on no tipping, all inclusive (except for shore excursions), all suite with balcony included on Voyager and Mariner and a wide variety of ports of call suggests you may like to have a look at their web site among others which may be suggested.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for the perfect ship

you might want to consider holland america or celebrity

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,033 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for the perfect ship

Would you be willing to share with us an idea of how much you'd like to spend on this getaway? I'm not trying to be nosy, just hoping to give realistic options.

Believe it or not, it's getting late to book January or February. So, I recommend you look at cruises from Florida to the Caribbean to get best availability still open. You'll get the best prices for the first 2 weeks of January, and also there will be fewer children on board then.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for the perfect ship

I concur on Radisson Seven Seas, Holland America, or Celebrity. If your budget allows it, look into Silversea and Seabourn cruiselines as well.

Point Pleasant, NJ
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for the perfect ship

Don't forget Crystal, our favorite cruise line.

Ginnie

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,033 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for the perfect ship

And I agree - nothing like Regent or Crystal if you can afford it - also I love Holland America (especially a suite, with amazing pampering perks!) and Celebrity (concierge class isn't a suite, but it does come with some perks).

Hampton Roads, VA
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for the perfect ship

Budget is really a concern (this will probably be one of the few cruises we ever take so we want to do it right) but I am afraid the Crystal lines and such might be a bit too "uptight" for us. It seems I am looking for a beautiful ship with extras but we definately aren't snobs.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for the perfect ship

Then do NOT go on Carnival. They are very kid friendly! Also Feb. is vacation time in some states. MA schools close for Feb. vacation (President's Day week) so many people take their children on cruises that week.

Late January would be a nice time to go or late February. Several excellent suggestions have been made by the above posters. We like Celebrity ships.

The southern Caribbean would be a good destination, although anywhere in the Caribbean would be nice in Jan. or Feb.

Good luck.

May