We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mediterranean Cruise in March

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Mediterranean Cruise in March

Hi there,

I am considering to take a Mediterranean Cruise for my honeymoon starting sometime in the second half of March, 2007.

It may be a little too early in the season, but my fiance and I both have pretty demanding working schedule and that is the only time we both can take off. Is the weather good enough to take such a cruise?

Also, any suggestions regarding which ports are a must? We found a 12-day cruise with Carnival Freedom visiting (in the order of):

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Naples, Italy

Rhodes, Greece

Izmir, Turkey

Istanbul, Turkey

Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Olympia (Katakolon), Greece

Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy

We also found a similar one (at least in my mind): 11-day with Costa Concordia visiting:

Savona, Italy

Olympia (Katakolon), Greece

Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Izmir, Turkey

Rhodes, Greece

Limassol, Cyprus

Cairo / Giza (Alexandria), Egypt

Of course, the most expensive one is 10-day with Seabourn Pride visting:

Lisbon, Portugal

Gibraltar, UK Territory

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Valencia, Spain

Barcelona, Spain

Marseille, France

Portovenere, Italy

The last one is kind of out of our price range, but if someone had any exprience with it, we'd love to hear from you.

Thank you very much!

zyytab

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,025 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

Bump - to get this back on the first page.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

Just returned from back-to-back late Oct/November cruises on Princess which made calls in many of the ports you mentioned. The weather can be chilly (50s to 60s), so dress for autumn and take lots of layers. Egypt will be the warmest port, can be in the 70s. I loved the off-season as there is not a tourist crush and you can see everything without the throngs of visitors that usually accompany the prime season, May-October. Not to mention, the outdoor jacuzzi is more fun when it is a little chilly outside!

Jeana

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

It may be too early for most cruises to the Med if you could push it to early April you will have more choices , Princess goes April 11 or Oceania April 8

If you cannot change dates I would do Carnival over Costa

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

Jeana,

I just read this post after I started a new post about visiting Egypt. Can you give me some info on what you did on your Egypt stop? Did you dock in Alexandria and did you go to Cairo? How long a trip is it to get to Cairo? What would you recommend for things to see? We would like to see the pyramids but not sure which ones?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also your suggestions for Limassol, Cyprus and Istanbul, Turkey if you went there. Did you have any reservations (safety, etc.) about walking/touring about in these areas?

Thanks so much. Are you planning to write a trip report? It would be helpful to others that are contemplating visiting some of these ports.

May

Chicago
Level Contributor
86 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

I just came back from a Concordia cruise. Great ship but different itenerary. Consider that November is equivalent to March. The climate in Rome was in the 60's. For someone from the Philadelphia area, you should not care about the climate in March. It will be cool but nice! Every port in the Mediterranean (Barcelona, Monaco, Valencia,Palma, Savona) will be a nice cool climate. Once you go by Athens and the islands and Turkey, you will enjoy your trip. ALL the port are great but have in mind that most of the tours from the ship are very expensive for 2 or more persons. Sometimes it makes sense to rent a car or a taxi. If this is your first time take the tours! There are times when you do not need to take a tour (Rhodes, Gibraltar, Istambul or Malta), but you must know what you want in order to make a final determination. Just do it with either cruise line (all of them are good).Have a nice and long matrimony!

6. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2006, 12:08
Vancouver
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

Hi We just got back from a princess cruise of the med. The weather was cooler, not the lay in the sun kind, but great for sightseeing. We had to wear sweaters most days, and jackets in the morning.

We did Rome, Monte Carlo, Florence, Athens, Olympia, Athens, the greek islands + Venice.

I would recomend both the ship ( Golden Princess ) and the route.

We met some couple who were on the Costa, they like the boat, but they found most of the passangers were non english speaking, so they missed meeting people.

We have been to Europe a couple of times before, but have never seen more than we did on the cruise.

I would go if you can make it work

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
193 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

Zyytab,

We booked the Carnival Freedom for April 19th. I hope that we made the right choice. It is a difficult decision. I have been corresponding with some others that are on that sailing. Everyone seems really excited, so I hope it all works out. With it being a new ship, there really isn't much feedback that anyone can give. Fannish, however, is very knowledgeable and gives great suggestions!

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

As I posted in my reply to the other post about this cruise and the temperatures, we are leaving on this same ship on March 26th from Rome and returning 4/7. I will try to report on our experience when we return, although for those who have booked it in mid-April it's probably too late to change your plans. The more we read and hear, the more excited we are.

One of the big factors for us was the fact that the Carnival Freedom has its maiden voyage in mid-March. We do NOT want norovirus. By booking through our local wine club (Kunde in Kenwood, CA) we got a great price.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
193 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mediterranean Cruise in March

Zytab,

Did you decide on the Carnival Freedom? We are now booking excursions and looking for trips to do ourselves. I would be interested in what you finally selected.