We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

Is anyone else upset by Celebrity cruises pretty much giving up on formal nights by adopting what they call "Evening Chic" dress code?

One of the great pleasures of the cruising for me is the chance to dress up, to be amongst others in formal dress and taking a martini at the martini bar. We dont have many opportunities to do this. I have to tell you that had I known this before I booked our cruise for next year, I would not have booked with Celebrity. Jeans and a jumper are not chic, they are smart casual.

307 replies to this topic
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. My husband will continue to wear his suit or tux and I'll continue to wear my cocktail or formal dresses, regardless of what they call or or what options they've added. And there are plenty of Jean/sport coat combos that can look as nice as a suit, IMO.

It is therapy of the world, dress.codes are becoming more relaxed across the board, especially with cruising as more and larger ships encourage various demographics. Lots want more relaxed dress codes -if I had a dollar for every post from folks trying to dress more.casual for.formal nights or complaining about it being "their vacation and no one is going to tell them how to dress" or "it's my vacation and last thing I want to wear is a suit" or "with airplane fees mow, packing formal wear is impractical" or whatever, I could cruise more tines a year! Celebrity has hardly enforced their "formal" guidelines for years, so they might as well simply change it and relieve the angst for those on both sides. Nothing stopping you from wearing your suits or tux, etc -it's still part of the guidelines.

Otherwise, look into lines that still have those dress codes, and enforce them -which really leaves you with Cunard, and to a much lesser extant, Holland America or Princess.

Enjoy your sailing.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,274 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

The only change in real terms is the non requirement of a man to wear a jacket on formal / chic nights and such nights have been reduced to a max of two per cruise. Nothing in the amended dress code prevents anyone from glamming up, wearing tuxes or flashy cocktail dresses for the ladies.

From a personal perspective I am glad about the change as on my three previous Celebrity Cruises I pushed the dress boundaries anyway.

Celebrity are adjusting to the times where there has been a general loosing up of formal and business dress.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

maybe they are just listening to the passenger

in the light of airline baggage fees & other expenses dragging formal wear can become a PITA

I am glad most cruise line have done away with formal wear

you can still dress up if you choose I do not think they have banned that

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

On my first Celebrity cruise (30 years ago), a few of the passengers wore a sports jacket over a polo shirt for the formal night. These passengers were still allowed to dine and participate in the evening activities; they were in no way "punished" for violating the dress code.

Several years later, on Princess, I saw people wearing tee shirts and jeans on formal nights.

Celebrity is just acknowledging that fact that many people refuse to dress up.

I prefer it when a large percentage of the people do dress formal. I used to wear a tuxedo at least once a month, but now my tux doesn't get worn much except on cruises.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,206 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

I'm not upset about it either, I'm afraid. It's an acknowledgement that times have changed, that it's increasingly difficult to justify excluding passengers from certain events or venues because of their dress, and that increasing numbers of guests choose not to even take formal wear with them on their vacation.

At the same time, though, there is nothing preventing those that wish to wear an evening suit, dinner jacket, ball gown or something equally dressy, and to enjoy doing so.

I'll be perfectly honest. What other people choose to wear has never been of much interest to me. While I like to adhere to dress codes and not push any boundaries myself, or simply go to places on the ship that accept more casual clothing if I don't want to dress up, my own wishes and comfort take priority over what my fellow passengers would like me to wear!

I'll probably continue to take a jacket or maybe even a suit on Celebrity cruises, because I'd like to have the option of deciding for myself whether to dress up or not. But I see this as good news, sorry.

Naugatuck...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

I agree, it is fun to get dressed up. People can dress casual or business casual almost daily. It is a change of pace. I wish they would rethink their stance.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

Erika S: Celebrity's change to Evening Chic allows for those who enjoy getting dressed up to do so while those who prefer something less than formal but still be dressed nice to do so also. Still plenty of suits and tuxes aboard Celebrity sailings, along with cocktail gowns and dresses for ladies...

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

Alverbig: I'm with you.

In my opinion, there are no dressy shorts or chic jeans. In the opinion of the cruise lines, I'm in the minority

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

For what it's worth Fannish, shorts are still not allowed in the MDR on Celebrity, even with the change. For better or worse, Chic or Elegant or Gala night is how cruise lines are moving, in keeping with the times and wants of the seeming majority of their passengers. Few lines left that have true formal nights. Perhaps the pendulum will swing in the future, who can say?

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"

We have the dress code question a lot on the Mauritius forum with people wanting to wear smart shorts or jeans to dinner. I can't see how either are considered suitable attire to eat in a nice restaurant. I still don't "get" smart shorts, they are day wear surely?

Sorry off topic.

Reply to: Celebrity Cruises Dress code "dumbing down"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted