We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time cruisers...any suggestions welcomed!

Georgia
7 posts
Save Topic
First time cruisers...any suggestions welcomed!

We are planning a cruise in the Western Carribean for this July '07. There will be 4 of us, my husband and myself, along with our children...a son who is 8, and a daughter, who is 13. We are trying to decide between the Royal Carribean and Carnival lines. Based on the ship reviews on the respective cruise lines' sites, I've found pros and cons of each. We are looking for awesome kids activites, kid friendly meal options and a balcony room that sleeps 4 comfortably. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time cruisers...any suggestions welcomed!

The same question has been asked several times recently, so if you don't get alot of response, go back several pages and reread what others have posted. I will say I am not a Carnival fan, BUT my children are grown, so I want a cruise with Less children. My experiences on Carvnial when my kids were younger, they do have children activities, its a younger crowd, as a whole. Read what others say about both cruise lines, like you say good and bad, What are the costs, what islands are they goin to, that can make the decision for you. I do make one caution the time of year, be aware that weather can be a major headache and can influence where you go or not go! That is always the problem with summer time cruising, sometimes they are cut short, they stay out at sea because they can't go into a certain port.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time cruisers...any suggestions welcomed!

I would choose Carnival, it is your first cruise, and RCCL is more exspensive and the cabins are known to be bigger on Carnival. Choose one of the newer Carnival ships. Your kids are young , RCCL is known as being great for kids, but I think the difference is that Carnival is great for kids, RCCL more for teens, so , you may end up on RCCL in a few years anyways, save some money and try Carnival first.

PS I have friends that RCCl and Carnival and they like each. ( I have done Carnival and Princess)

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time cruisers...any suggestions welcomed!

Hello tigergal 31

We cruised for the first time, with our two boys aged 9 & 6 in December 2006 with Carnival departing from port canaveral on the Glory & did the Western Caribbean.

What an absolutely fantastic time we had!

We were in a balcony room sleeping four & found it no problem at all. The two boys slept on a single sofa bed & a "Pullman" type bed which dropped down from the ceiling, all of which are setup & put away by your stateroom steward.

Camp carnival was fantastic, in fact its the first holiday, sorry vacation the children have asked to go to the kids club!

Hope this helps

Regards,

Tobytyke

4. Re: First time cruisers...any suggestions welcomed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 14:16