We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cold flights

Manchester
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
cold flights

Hi

Hope some of you experienced fliers can be of assistance.

We are due to fly to Punta Cana on June 25th from Manchester. i believe the aircraft will be a TCX a330-200.

Very recently I travelled on another TC flight from eGYPT i was seated on row 10 and other passengers and myself were positively freezing. No blankets were available and no hot drinks either. The crew acknowleged they knew these seats had this problem but they were allocated anyway.

I have no desire to repeat this experience especially not on a 9 hour flight I already have circulatory problems and being cold does not help this.

So my question is does this aircraft have a similar problems and which seats are the cold spots to avoid? are blankets available>?

Another question is does anyone know where the toilets are situated on this aircraft? I have ulcerative colitis and on a flight as long as this need to be near the toilets.

Thak you in advance to anyone who can be of assistance and i apologise in advance if the information is easily available and I've missed it.

Regards TuChoozy

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cold flights

Your best bet is to plan ahead and wear layers of clothing so you can adjust to the plane, and bring your own blanket. I've never had an issue on the A330, but it can vary from plane to plane.

Exit rows tend to be colder since there will be air leaks and the less insulation in the door. I made the mistake once of using the exit slide cover as a shelf for my eye drops which became very very cold in flight, but I did not realize it until it was like dropping ice water into my eyes.

Bathrooms are usually at the midpoint of the coach cabin and all the way in the back. Check seatguru or your airline website for a seat map.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cold flights

Here's a link to the seatmap for your flight type:

thomascookairlines.co.uk/Boeing_A330new.asp

It's impossible to know whether the flight you will be on will have the same issue that your previous flight had, particularly as it sounds like it was a techincal problem. It's been a while since I've been on a charter flight, but from looking at the Thomas Cook airlines site, they will carry some blankets and pillows as it's a longhaul, but not for everyone. If you have a real need, I'd advise you take your own.

Have a great trip. :-)

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cold flights

i have travelled recently with swiss, Blue1, emirates and Finnair and I was freezing in all (and I have a big cold-tolerance)

I guess this is a problem with all airlines and have nothing to do with teh seat or teh type of airplane.

it is better that you take your own blanket/large wrapper and something warm to wear when aboard. this what i am doing.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cold flights

Good morning

Best insurance for comfort and heat is simply to travel with a sweater. You can also purchase in specialized travel stores your own travel blanket.

My wife carries her own travel pillow ( so cute that other passengers were asking the FA why they did not get one like that!

Also check Ebay for Airline blanket:

http://shop.ebay.fr/items/_W0QQLHQ5fPrefLocZ2QQ_sopZ10?_nkw=airline+blanket&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=concorde&_osacat=0

Bon voyage

meherio

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cold flights

addendum

get a blankie from an airline that does not exist anymore....

…ebay.fr/antique-vintage61__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Meherio

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cold flights

I think the "coldness" has crept in over the last 2 years or so. I'm not a cold person normally and was always too hot on flights but now I'm ruddy freezing.

It's got to be something to do with saving money, hasn't it?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,328 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cold flights

Drat, Meherio, an interesting addendum - but one that tempts me to spend more money! Very clever - and thank you.

I am one who is almost never cold but find a great majority of flights - on a number of airlines - on the chilly side. Despite a cabin full of people with body temps around 37C there must be a link to a large metal object moving quickly through air that is about -60C that means the d@mn plane itself is going to be cold, which might be part of it.

Manchester
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cold flights

Thanks to all you guys for your responses; I too suspect it has something to do with saving money especially to refuse blankets to sick passengers.

I am amazed that all these experienced travellers are all resigned to the fact that you must take your own when the luggage allowances have been pared to within half a kilo and enforced.

This will be my last thomas cook trip ever; and what is even sadder is that I am aware that my pre-conceived ideas about Thomas Cooks lack of service will impact on the enjoyment of my holiday. Even though I'm aware I can't help it: previous experience has repeatedly shown me this is a fact and now positive thinking is no longer a successfull mechanism to cope.

Kind Regards to all tripadvisor members

Tuchoozy x

Dayton
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cold flights

I need to book on these seats... I do love a cooler cabin. I prefer to be cooler vice sitting their sweating.. I actually fly with a small batter powered 8in fan that I set on my tray to keep me comfortable as the little amount of air that emanates from the air jets above you is negligible in my opinion.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cold flights

Personally I would always travel with a pashmina or something similar to wrap around me if it gets cold on the plane - if you are on a train or bus and it's cold you don't expect them to provide you with a blanket, why should it be any different on a plane?

Get answers to your questions