We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

Has anynone flow their Boeing 767 from Los Angeles to The Cooks Islands in economy?They have 46 economy seats + with 35 inch pitch and the remaining seats varies from 31-to 35 according their seats chart configuration. SeaGuru put list them at 32 inch : Which is it? anyone sat in those? I am 6.2 and 31 is way to tight.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

i have flown auckland to raro with the flight that continues onto lax and back again in economy on their 767. i thought the seat pitch was 32". am 6ft 1 and altho tight (like most economy seats) it was not too bad. their service is great so that distracts from any discomfort..

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

Thank you for your input. I do not know the flight time between Auckland and Raro, but from Lax its is almost 10 hrs. I quit air France from Lax to Paris for that reason and fly instead Air New zealand with its 33-34 inch pitch to London . Going to aitutaki not being a necessity I do not think I will go there now. Going on Vacation should be enjoyable including the trip to get there . The 35 inch pitch seat + economy fare is unreasonable. 1000 US dollar more than the regular economy fare.. while to London R/T back to LA is it only $1100 more for their premium economy seats (with more pitch and seat width).

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

Hi basiliere,

I looked at the Air NZ 767 seat chart on their website. At the bottom of the page is the statement ;

" Please note: Space + is only available for flights to Australia and the Pacific Islands (excluding Tahiti and Perth). "

I would say on that basis the Los Angeles - Rarotonga - Auckland flight will be 32 inch.

Cheers.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

No StanleyAucklanr! The tthe 35 inch pitch are avaiable between Lax and Raro. I caled . My plan because of scheduling was Lax- Papeete with Air Tahitinui (Code Share partner with Air NZ) and return Raro Lax

Regular economy fare Multi city R/T: $1466 USD. but the 35 inch pitch is $1936 USD

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

i really think u r making too much of all this. we in aus are used to flying long distances in economy eg. to the uk is 22 hours, LAX 14 hours. u just have to suck it in if u r not willing to cough up the extra $ for business or PE. and for the sake of a little discomfort i would not be missing out on rarotonga and especially aitutaki. both magical places.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

I wanted to go there to compare with Bora Bora which I have seen as well a many other Polynesien islands. But it is not a necessity... I'll go only when I feel the extra fare is reasonable which is to me at the maximum half of what they are charging now for a 35 inch pitch.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

Hi basiliee,

First, economy plus is probably an economy seat with extra leg space. I'm assuming this as from Nov this year, air NZ is rolling out a new Premium Economy which is a very different beast compared to the present PE.

Second. Your travel would involve multiple carriers ( Air Tahiti Nui, Possibly Air Rarotonga, and Air NZ ). Your LAX to RAR legs may include business class travel in Air Tahiti Nui which will addd to the cost.

Air NZ economy long haul is ok. Haven't flown Air Tahiti Nui so can't comment on their service. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for.

Cheers.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

Hi basiliere

When are you thinking of going?

It's quite right that the space+ seats are on the 767s used on the LAX/RAR/AKL and return flights. They are not sold as premium economy but as economy fare seats which are often reserved for AirNZ FFers like gold elite or koru club members. So extra legroom for sure but food and service is economy rather than premium economy. If you can get one of those space+ seats you'll be just fine. And the AirNZ service is very good.

Air NZ are changing a lot of things later this year. But not much will change on the 767 aircraft except that the number of space+ seats may reduce. It seems a little unclear at this stage.

The new premium economy seats that Stanley talks about will only be rolled out on the brand new 777-300 aircraft used for longhaul and will replace the 747s and some other routes. The premium economy seats on the 777-200ER will not change at this stage.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused as to what Stanley is getting at in talking about multiple carriers.

Am I right in thinking you are contemplating a trip from LAX to RAR and return. Oh yes, of course, you've been asking questions about Aitutaki on the CI site.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

I know you've looked at SeatGuru but wonder if you've looked at the AirNZ seat maps.

airnewzealand.co.nz/seat-map-boeing-767-300

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Air New Zealand Boeing economy seat Pitch

Hi nzlilibet You wrote:

Air NZ are changing a lot of things later this year. But not much will change on the 767 aircraft except that the number of space+ seats may reduce. It seems a little unclear at this stage.

Why would they reduce the number of seat plus? I do not understand their stategy!

If the extra fare is reasonable like KLM which is charging $100 to 170 US dollars I beleive... more people would buy those seat +.. especially tall people on long haul flight.I would pay up to $250 US . ANZ is charging $1000 R/T! That's ridiculous! No wonder nobody buy them! Putting more regular economy seats does not seem to add up for their bottom line!.

I refuse to fly on the cramped seats when not necessary! If everybody tall person complained like I have been doing to let them know ....I beleive would they would take notice!!

Get answers to your questions