We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

Bunbury, WA
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

My husband and I are travelling from Sydney, Australia to Los Angeles and we are wondering if anyone can tell us how much legroom the economy seats have on the United Airlines 747-400. My husband is very tall and for a long flight we are wondering how much benefit he might get from upgrading to Economy Plus? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,083 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

According to seatexpert.com the pitch for the standard economy seats is 31-32 inches whilst the pitch for economy plus is 35-36 inches.

In my opinion those extra inches can make a great deal of difference to comfort on a long haul flight but whether the extra cost justifies the potential benefits is largely a matter of personal choice.

TomC

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

Hi Shardee,

If you can afford it, then I would definitely go for the upgrade to PE. I am only 5'2" but I find an economy seat for MEL-SFO trips to be very cramped and uncomfortable, I can't imagine how it would be if I were 6'4". I don't know how good the United PE product is but think the extra inches of legroom would be worth it.

Jen.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

I don't know how good the United PE product is but think the extra inches of legroom would be worth it.

<<<<<<<

It's not really premium economy; the only thing you get with E+ is the extra legroom, nothing more. And yes, for this flight, it's definately worth the cost.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

those 5" turn in to 5' after a few hours. E+ is the way to go. but it is not PE, just extra pitch. we have always gambled and 'bought' E+ at check in at the airport for a heavy discount. yet to miss out on the trans pacific route. but it depends on loads which can depend at the time of the year and the day of the week u r flying.

also if u r not a gambler check out:

http://tinyurl.com/d7yohw

buying the annual E+ subscription (which is good for 2 pax) may be more economic than purchasing 4 separate E+'s

Australia
Level Contributor
811 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

Shardee24

I am just over 6' 5" and E+ is a lifesaver - makes the 14 or so hours tolerable. In those seats the person in front can be fully reclined (as they invariably do) and the seat back/pocket still does not touch my knees. Also, it is possible to actually stretch my legs straight out under the seat in front. Get an aisle seat as well and it's luxury!!!!

The extra $149 or $159 per flight - I cannot remember which, is the best money I have ever spent on air travel and I won't consider any other airline except UA for trans-pacific. As others have noted E+ is legroom only, all other service is same as rest of economy, although you are seated at the front of economy cabin.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 00:50
Bunbury, WA
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

Thank you to those people that left replies to my query. Your comments have been very helpful and we will definitely be looking into upgrading to E+.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

Shardee24, look at the annual option for United Economy Plus; it covers traveler and companion for $425 for a year. It might work out cheaper than paying the E+ fee for 2 of you for individual flights.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

Yes, the annual option is a good deal if at least two of you are flying long-haul roundtrip. We chose the annual option for a recent trip to Argentina & saved money since there were 2 of us, flying roundtrip --even if we don't use United again this year.

I'm only 5'2", and even I prefer the economy+ legroom. Can only imagine how difficult 14 hours in economy seats would be for someone 6'4"!

9. Re: UA 747-400 Economy legroom - My husband is 6'4"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2012, 09:21
Get answers to your questions