We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

Hello TA! good morning,

I am hoping u can help me...

I am trying to book a multi city flight (lax to barcelona & lisbon to Lax) and i have a few choices...

*AA (which last time i flew them to europe i hated them, they dont even have individual TV's)

*Air France...I have never flown with them...(how is their economy compared to AA?? & is their Premium Economy worth the extra $$?

Thanks for your help!!

Yesenia

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

Regarding Economy class if the Air France aircraft is a 747-400 it may or may not have the individual seat back entertainment as some planes were refurbished to include it yet others weren't. If it's an Airbus then it'll have the seatback entertainment units. But other than being typically cramped, personally I find the overall experience to be much better than flying with other arilines. I haven't flown an American-based airline transatlantic for a while now, but I am guessing Air France will be much better than AA from the comments I've seen.

I've no idea about Premium Economy as I only fly in Economy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,462 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

Worth what? Is it $5 to upgrade or $5000? Even with the figures to hand only you can make that choice. Personally I'd say it's worth it regardless because I don't fly economy longhaul, whereas others wouldn't spend an extra cent to fly anything but the very cheapest.

Think of it this way, if it was worth it then economy wouldn't exist. If nobody thought it was then premium economy wouldn't exist.

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

Yes, you have a good point...

ok, so let me give some addt info...

regular economy is about 1400 usd

premium economy is 1700 usd

is the comfort level in premium economy different, better, etc...what i mean is...if the seat is only 1 inch wider...then to me thats not worth the extra 300usd, but if the seat recline is a bit more, & more room etc...you know what i mean...it's worth it to me, specially that i am scared to fly...

any comments???

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

Last summer we flew AF Premium Voyageur between Washington DC and Paris, and it was great--so much roomier than British Airways premium economy, for instance. I loved the fixed-shell seats--if the person in front of you reclines, it doesn't affect you in the least. The price differential between premium and regular economy was only $200 round-trip, but having now experienced what a huge difference it made to the flying experience, I'd be willing to pay a lot more than that for the upgrade.

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

Thanks!! exactly what i wanted to know...

i don't ever sleep on flights because im scared of flying...but maybe now i'll at least be able to arrive more refreshed & relaxed...

Thanks! I really did not want AA!! LOL

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

I haven't flown AA transatlantic so can only tell you about the AF Premium Economy. I flew last year CDG to JFK and really liked the space and cabin of the PE - the food and service was excellent and I arrived more relaxed, less tired than usual but that may have been in my head...there is also a separate check-in for PE customers.

For the sake of $300 (if you have it), I would consider it money well spent.

Hope this helps

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

how does pe differ from Business? Flat beds in Business?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

Yesiloves2travel:

"ok, so let me give some addt info...regular economy is about 1400 usd, premium economy is 1700 usd"

--

I've traveled on AF 6 times in the last month, but from JFK-CDG instead of out of LAX. For a $300 difference, in my opinion, you're getting a really good deal. Premium Voyageur is a great product. If you haven't already looked it over, maybe this will help:

airfrance.us/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/clas…

Have a great time! :-)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

We flew Premium Voyageur last year and it is worth the 300$ extra.

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which airline to europe...& is AirFr Premium economy worth

Thank you to all!! I just booked my flight with AF on Premium Voyageur!! can't wait!!