We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upper deck a380 not always economy

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
upper deck a380 not always economy

We have booked flights from LHR to SYD with Singapore Airlines. Our one wish was to be on the upper deck of the A380. We had been told how quiet it was and as the seats were in a 2-4-2 configuration, we went for paying the extra to have exit row seats.

Originally booked in January 2011 for flights returning in January 2012.

We have now been told that our choice of seats on the final leg home to LHR have been changed to main lower deck, and that all the upper level seats are business.

Has anyone else been hit by this change? It just seems weird for one flight to be all business.

Any comments?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,344 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

Dont know about Singapore Airlines but Emirates upper deck A380s are all business class.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

I believe SQ's upper deck is mainly business as well as a few economy seats in the 2-4-2 config to the back on the upper deck. I suppose they don't want anyone reserving them until the ones down below are taken.

Regards

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

I flew on Air France in May on the inbound flight to the US and the top deck was mainly business but there were some economy seats in the rear of the plane and we sat there. It is really quite and very nice.

I am flying to Paris in October and the outbound flight is on a 380 and I was able to reserve seats on the upper deck. I had to, for unrelated reasons, make my reservation over the phone and they charged me $25 for each reservations 'cause it was made over the phone. Maybe that is why I was able to get upper deck seats.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

On 3 of the 4 legs booked we have reserved (and paid extra for) seats upstairs, 71H and K.

It is just this last leg that has been changed.

I have just had a phone call from SIA and they are refunding the last segment preferred seats payment and we are now free to choose in the main cabin from what is left.

The lady on the phone confirmed that on this flight all the upper deck is business.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

You can't do anything about it, but at least you have been advised, sometimes you only find out at the airport.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

Thanks for all the replies. Will just have to wait and see.........

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

according to the airline's website, they have at least one a380 with the all-business upper deck config. both seat-maps are on the website. i suspect this lay-out is usually used on one particular route and it is being 'borrowed' to cover another aircraft's planned maintenace or something.

pam

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

I've travelled business class with SQ on the A380. There was two business class cabins on the top deck (one small, one large) and then economy in the back, but still on the top deck.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 21:04
Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

Pam, Thanks for that.

Each time I have been on the Singapore site I have gone straight to my booking, so I didn't see the 2 layouts for the 380.

As you say, they must have changed planes from another 'normal' route, as we had booked and paid for the preferred seats some 5 months ago.

Anyway, thanks again.

Pam (your namesake!)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: upper deck a380 not always economy

Singapore Airlines has 19 firms orders for A380. To date 12 aircrafts has been delivered. There will be 2 versions of seating arrangements on these 19 aircrafts. For the 1st eleven, total seating is 471 with upper deck economy. For the 2nd batch of next 8 aircrafts, there will no longer be an upper deck economy section. The 1st of the 8 of these aircraft with the new all Business Class configuration on the Upper Deck was delivered last month. Version 2 configuration will have 409 seating capacity. Three more A380 aircrafts will be delivered to Singapore Airlines by end-2011. The aircrafts will most likely to be deployed on high yield routes, like LHR.