We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assigned seats American Airlines

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Assigned seats American Airlines

Does anyone know why American Airlines won't allow some seats to be assigned on some flights?

We have bookings from London to Chicago, Chicago to Dallas, Dallas to Santa Fe for tomorrow and then subsequent bookings within the USA and then to London. All American Airlines; all confirmed.

However, we have been unable to get assigned seats on the Chicago to Dallas segment. All others, including a return Dallas to Chicago booking, let us get assigned seating.

Anyone know what this means? Is it a case of overbooking? We can get no straight answer from American Airlines- whether online or on the phone.

Any advice would be very welcome

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assigned seats American Airlines

EMDC21

It could be that all the seats released prior to the flight have been booked already, which means seat selection will be done at the airport. It has happened to me before, but seats are still available but usually dispersed on the day of the flight at the airport.

Regards

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assigned seats American Airlines

As noted, not all seats are made available to be booked. AA holds back a percentage (percentage varies depending on location) of seats for assignment by gate agents only. This is done to give the gate agents the flexibility needed to move people around if they need to. In additiont to rhis, not all seats are available to all passengers. Some seats are reserved for AA's FF elite members and even though they can be booked on line, you must be an elite member holding the tier level authorized for that seat in order to be able to book it.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,381 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assigned seats American Airlines

All available seats that could be assigned were assigned at this point. Keep trying but even at online check-in, you might not be able to get a seat until you get to the airport.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assigned seats American Airlines

It happened to me and my dad once; it had to do with the percentage they hold back, as vegas-guide said. There were also several disabled people on the flight; don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

For various reasons my dad booked us through a travel agent and this was something she was not familiar with, so I don't know how well-known in general this policy of theirs is.

5. Re: Assigned seats American Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 15:18
Get answers to your questions