We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

premium economy versus business class,

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
premium economy versus business class,

I hate being cramped and crowded on a flight form the east coast to the west coast, I am small and many big americans seem to have no problem overflowing into my seating area. Next month I will be traveling from the east coast to Tokyo for the first time. premium is double economy and business class is double that . Is it worth it ? Looks like I'll be on JAL operated by AA, whatever that means. I've looked at seat maps but they all seem to point out that business class seats don't really lie flat, and that is an issue..?? Is nearly $6500 worth it? This is probably a once in a lifetime trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: premium economy versus business class,

It all depends on how you value the benefits. Those who pay for business class will say it's worth it, those who don't say it isn't.

If you're only earning $75k a year you'll probably struggle to justify it, if you're making $750k you're more likely to...

It's your call whether it's worth it or not.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 01:17
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: premium economy versus business class,

Well said OP!

Personally for such a long journey, I'd have to fly in a class above economy, but that's just me.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: premium economy versus business class,

Gee whiz, if I was making 750K i'd be in first class, Im leaning toward business, if I dont find it worth it, it will be a live and learn experience,ouch! and if it does turn out to be worth it- I'll be so glad I'm not "back there"

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: premium economy versus business class,

Then it sounds like you've answered your own question....

I know someone who is well off to the tune of multiple 9 figures and only flies economy, whereas I'm sure there are others who are probably weighed down in credit card debt and only fly F...

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: premium economy versus business class,

While the whole question of "is it worth it" is a personal decision, I can understand how it's a difficult decision to make if you've never tried it before.

When you go out to buy a new car, you can test drive it before you decide if it's worth it. The airline doesn't let you try out the business class seat for 30 minutes before you get to decide if you want to pay for it! So, I do understand your question.

Also note that it is difficult to compare premium economy in general, since the PE product tends to vary by airline (actually, so does the business product). For some airlines, PE is just your standard economy seat with about 6 extra inches in front of you and a bit more recline, which won't stop the guy next to you from spilling over, if that's your concern. On other airlines, PE can be a significantly better seat than the economy seat (but still not usually anywhere close to the comfort of business class).

I've think you're got the right idea. If you can financially afford it this time, by giving it a try, you will at least know better for future travel if it's worth it to you. Or, if this will be a once in a lifetime trip, as you say, then enjoy it and take advantage of the lounges and additional services and have a great time.

If you really want to compare the two, but want to at least sample business class but not pay quite as much, have you looked into the cost of booking business class for only one way and PE the other?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,337 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: premium economy versus business class,

If your flight with JAL is a codeshare operated by AA then that flight won't have a Premium Economy cabin. If you book to fly through LAX with the LAX-NRT sector operated by JAL then that airline does have a PE cabin.

Both JL and AA have angled flat seats in their Business class cabins rather than a 180 degree flat seat. If that doesn't sound appealing then perhaps Business travel on those airlines isn't for you.

If you'd like to fly in Business or in PE then that's what you should do. If you think you'll fly with AA again then do join AAdvantage to collect as many Miles as you can for future travel.

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
172 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: premium economy versus business class,

I have flown, economy, premium economy, business and first. I have only ever paid for business once in my life, the rest of the time anything above economy has been on frequent flyer points either direct or as an upgrade. Have you ff points you can use for an upgrade, check with your agent or airline. This can happen either in advance or even at the airport.

Overall I would say the price you pay for anything more than an economy seat is not worth it, work out how much it would cost you to fly the day before in economy and then spend the difference for 24 hours at your destination in the finest hostel, limo transfers, fine food and wine and recovery from the flight dollars and cents I reason you are in front, but saying this yes any class up is definitely worth the experience. But if you are going to spend the money, some airlines are definitely worth more and are a lot better than others. He different classes.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: premium economy versus business class,

I wouldnt travel long-haul business with my own money if the seat didnt recline to a bed parallel to the deck. The premium is not justified IMO.

Look for other flight options, even if they entail connections to get a flat bed b-class seat. For 6.5k, you can do better than AA.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: premium economy versus business class,

I've paid for Business - but never for an angled bed. I can't sleep in them, so what's the point. If, as you say, you are small, you'll have the same problem as I do - you keep sliding down the bed.

I agree with Jason - suffer in the cheapest economy seat for a few hours then treat yourself to 5* hotels with your savings for your entire trip. You'll soon forget your discomfort.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: premium economy versus business class,

I've endured numerous trips to the UK in economy and, after the last trip (even with SQ) we vowed never again and decided it would be business class next time (or not at all). I "guesstimated" we'd be up for anywhere between $7K and $10K each and budgeted for that. Well, we were lucky enough to get first class with Etihad for $8,400 (in their suites, no less**) and I couldn't be happier. Yes, I know that for that amount of money I could have flown to the UK 4 times, but I'd rather spend the extra and travel in comfort - fully flat, 6'8" beds, 1000 thread count sheets, proper pillows, chauffeur transfers (4 in all - one of them from Manchester to the Lakes). I don't begrudge 1c of the amount spent - far from it :-)

(** the leg from Abu Dhabi to Manchester is *only* in business class, because Etihad don't have a first class cabin into Manchester - still fully flat seats and we still get the first class luggage allowance etc etc, so no whinging from me).

Get answers to your questions