We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

Lake Ozark, Missouri
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

We are trying to figure out which would be the best prem economy Air New Zealand 777-300 space seat (since they took out the one row) or Qantas Prem Economy. Any advice suggestions would be appreciated.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

We travelled PE on Air NZ from Auckland to LA recently. We were impressed with the staff and food. As far as leg room goes we are both tall and found there was plenty of room to stretch out.

However I still found it difficult to get comfortable as your legs are still lower and hanging down. You are given a bean bag to rest them on but I'd prefer something a little higher. In saying that, that is more the configuration in business class and we did not or could not afford those prices!

I am looking forward to our return trip as anything is better than cattle class.

Buck

Edited: 26 March 2012, 21:59
Lake Ozark, Missouri
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

What seats did you have on ANZ prem economy? Did you have the middle section or the side window seats?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

Have only flown Auckland/Brisbane in the AirNZ 777-300 PE cabin.

We chose the middle seats but did not like them. We were angled away from each other and the middle table was useless. The fold-down table for eating was also awkward. I ended up taking tablets for a sore neck. I wouldn't want to fly longhaul in those seats.

Will be flying again on the same aircraft in a few months and will try the outer seats this time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,941 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

I have flown QF PE and thought the product was quite nice (seat, comfort, meals, cabin quality, etc).

Lake Ozark, Missouri
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

Good feedback - keep the comments coming. We are not flying until early 2013 - so we have plenty of time trying to figure out our best option

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

We had read reviews about the different seats. We chose the outside seats due to one comment about legs and knees sticking out due to tha angle. My husband is tall so we thought that may have been a problem.

Glad we did.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

Have you considered the Skycouch on ANZ as an alternative to PE?

Lake Ozark, Missouri
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

We have no interest in the skycouch since if one person wants to sleep the other will need to at the same time and my husband is 6'2". We just don't think that confirguration would work for us - but a good idea. From comments we have read about the 777-300 - it did seem like the outside seats were the better option in premium economy.

Perth
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

Hi! My partner and I just returned from US having travelled there & back with Air NZ in the premum econ seats. Initially I requested the middle ones but were given the outside ones. I was annoyed at first because we booked months ahead but my partner actually said he preferred the ones we had to the middle row after sampling a couple of empty middle ones during the flight.

They were not empty when we got on because I asked but someone must have been upgraded as they became vacant for the whole of the flight.

Anyway we really enjoyed the journey in those seats. Comfort and food wise they are way better than economy and we probably won't be able to go back to economy now that we have experienced PE. I don't know what PE seats are like on Qantas but would like to hear from anyone who has used them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Premium Economy Qantas A380 or Air New Zealand 777-300

We flew PE on Qantas A380 to Singapore and it was excellent. Seats were comfortable, spacious, and the standard of service from the crew was wonderful. The food and drinks were good quality and included pre takeoff bubbly . We had a separate cabin on the top floor behind the business class cabin. It was very quiet and Flight attendants were readily available. Also appreciated the priority check in and boarding. Can't compare it to Air New Zealand , but would fly PE with Qantas without hesitation ( budget permitting!)

Get answers to your questions