We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental customers stuck with United

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Continental customers stuck with United

Continental does not exist anymore! United took over, and the service, customer support was transferred to India!

The result is 30 minutes waiting time, no email confirmations for fight changes, rude customer service and no one to take responsibility!

I did not choose to purchase the flight with United, I was forced to deal with them and now I am stuck

Congrats United, you were the worst before this, now you are unbearable!!

Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,292 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

Rant over?

Now what's the problem exactly?

New York
Level Contributor
420 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

Correction to your message: Customer service is in Manila. The agent told me that is where she was located. While the customer service is awful and the frustration level is high on both ends, the new company's international service is better. I just fly EWR-LHR without a problem. The new mileage plus section gives you more leg room. The meal service in economy is slightly better than the meal service on domestic first class.

As long as you do not contact the airline on the phone you are doing ok. I think that's what it wants. I have been on 4 domestic flights that listed in-flight entertainment which it had none. The flight crew told me it was b/c the planes were new and did not have it installed. That's ok, but don't list that there is entertainment and outlets and then do not provide them.

I had hoped that UA would become a CO, but instead CO is becoming a UA. The old UA people are just as annoyed as the old CO people. I am near Newark so I will have to learn to deal with it. And as I said above the international is better.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

"Continental does not exist anymore! United took over"

Did you just find this out?

"I had hoped that UA would become a CO, but instead CO is becoming a UA"

Hardly! Except for the name and the boarding order, everything, including the reservation system is the old CO. Even the CEO.

Customer service is in Manila

There are many customer service locations, including Mexico, Hawaii, Manila, Chicago, etc. Depends on your status where your call is routed.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 18:26
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,652 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

"I did not choose to purchase the flight with United, I was forced to deal with them and now I am stuck"

Sorry...but it's not exactly news that they merged. It's been something like 2+ years in the making. So not to worry, you only have to take this one trip with them and then you can go back to whichever airline you prefer.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,931 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

As you obviously haven't been paying attention, United and Continental switched to their single reservations and ticketing system (Continental's btw) on March 3, and long wait times were expected as glitches and issues are ironed out. That the wait times are down to 30 minutes (from 2-3 hours) indicates that things are slowly but steadily being ironed out.

Your rant is ridiculous. United did **not** take over Continental; it was a merger. And, out of this merger -

- The CEO and most of the senior management are from Continental.

- The company logo and aircraft livery is Continental's

- The aircraft operating procedures are Continental's.

- The reservations and ticketing system that you complain about is Continental's.

- The frequent flyer program may be called MileagePlus, but everyone was given a Continental number.

From the United side, there is the name, the inflight magazine, and Economy Plus.

So, for all practical purposes, the only thing you can complain about from United is more legroom in coach!

(and no i don't work for the airline)

Edited: 06 April 2012, 19:36
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,143 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

I solve the airline (not necessarily United, any of them) customer service problems by never dealing with them. I book online, print my boarding pass and cross my fingers that I never have to talk to anyone. Do any of them actually have good service anymore?

Level Contributor
4,469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

OP postted the exact same rant on Fodors.

Those of us, who have lived through several mergers know that just after operations combine things get screwed up.

And if OP is like most flyers "never again" means 'unless they are my cheapest option'

8. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 April 2012, 12:05
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,947 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

Loved Continental before the merger oh well, gotta love those one post wonder rants.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,473 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental customers stuck with United

>> ...and now I am stuck <<

Sorry, does that mean you're stuck in an airport somewhere?

Yet another classic example of why TA should never allow regular reviews of airlines!