We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Southern Airlines

Rockingham...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
China Southern Airlines

I'm travelling to the UK with China Southern Airlines, I'm hoping the 7 hour stopover in Guangzhou warrants the saving on my fare! Could somebody please tell me:

Do I need to re-claim my luggage and keep it with me until check-in for my onward flight?

Where's the best place to head to within the airport to sleep for a few hours to kill time?

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: China Southern Airlines

The last couple of times I have transited through Guangzhou (traveling between Thailand and the USA), it has been a real p.i.t.a.. Those of us transiting were held at the immigration counter until they had cleared all the terminating passengers ... then ... they dealt with us, reviewing our passports a second time and slowly walking us up to the international departures area a few people at a time.

Our bags went straight through to the connecting flight. Didn't need to identify or claim them.

I spent my layovers in the CSA lounge, so can't advise you on where might be a good place to catch some sleep

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Southern Airlines

Assuming you are on a UK passport, you will not be able to exit the transit area, as you would need a visa to do so. Assuming you are flying with China Southern all the way (on the one ticket), your luggage will be checked all the way through - when you check in they will do this for you, so your luggage receipt will show this.

Can't help you with a quiet corner though, sorry.

Trigg, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: China Southern Airlines

Same here, I'm flying Perth to Amsterdam with a layover of 7 hours in Guangzhou. Good to hear your luggage will be sent through all the way as I read reviews they didn't in the past and you had to do the entire check in again.

Also looking for a quiet corner at the airport in Guangzhou, was thinking to book into the Pullman Hotel but understood I can't leave the transit area without a visa? Does anyone know if you need a visa to stay at the airport Pullman hotel?

Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China Southern Airlines

Mazzarazzi,

You won't be allowed to go land side, as that means entering the PRC, without a visa. Touch wood it won't happen, but if there are irrops and you miss your connection, or your connection is delayed, you'll have to spend the whole time airside in the departure lounge.

It's up to you (and in the big picture the risk of being stranded is slim) but you may want to consider a visa as backup.

It's one reason I won't consider transiting in a country where I don't have entry clearance. Fortunately for me - due to my business commitments - I do now have a Chinese visa (and for India) so transit via those countries is back on the agenda for me.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 06:45
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China Southern Airlines

I agree with USBusinessTRaveller..... if you want to get some sleep and want to protect against being stuck in an airport doe to delays, get a transit visa.....

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: China Southern Airlines

I have a visa to exit the airport but only have7 hours. Does anyone know somewhere NEAR the airport to have a meal and a couple of drinks? Think it is not enough time to go in to the CBD.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: China Southern Airlines

The Pullman hotel at the airport has really good food. There is also a bar which is nice. It is attached to the airport and easy to find. I found the airport easy to navigate. Lots of signs in English.

Enjoy your trip

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: China Southern Airlines

You will need a visa to visit the Pullman Hotel.they are easy to obtain from the Chinese embassy in East Perth. You take in your passport, pay the fee and return the next day to collect the visa.

In my opion it's worth doing as there is very littl to do at the airport and the Pullman serves very good food and you can have a drink in the bar. It's a good way to fill in the 7 hours.

Rockingham...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: China Southern Airlines

Thank you so much for all the info. I don't feel quite so daunted now. I shall invest in a visa and therefore a good feed and nice cold beer at the Pullman. Thanks again. :)

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: China Southern Airlines

I found a section that indicates we *should* be able to stay at the Pullman up to 24hours without a visa. Item4: visaforchina.org/MIL_EN/…250836.shtml

Having said that we're flying BNE-CAN-GVA in 2 weeks time & have only around 5 hours so I am just bringing something to read & a neck pillow! I will also be looking on Sleeping In Airports Dot Com it has lots of independent traveller reviews (I will update both this site & that one with my upcoming CZ experiences). Hope to read yours!