We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

JSN
san francisco
Level Contributor
362 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

Understand that this is fairly new service from DL, a 777.. I will buy a tix and have SkyMiles to upgrade for the other tix. Has anyone flown this route? I would LOVE to hear your impressions, no detail is too much! We're thinking September, probably for a month. I've always flown international carriers to Europe, etc, how are the DL cabin crew on these flights? I never thought we'd get back to Oz because of the long flight, now can fly up front and not die on the way! I can hardly wait.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

Hi there,

Just so you are aware, it most likely won't even be Delta metal on the return flight from Sydney to Los Angeles. It will be codeshare with Virgin Australia using their planes. You will still earn points towards any frequant flyer etc it will be a DL Flight number, but will be a VA Aircraft.

On the journey over, as for the Elite it looks brilliant. VA's business class is also pretty good.

JSN
san francisco
Level Contributor
362 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

Good to know, I'll check V Australia out carefully,we fly V Atlantic to London all the time and really love it.

Anyone else with more tidbits?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

i really dont understand rosey posey's post. if delta fly into sydney on a daily basis there will always be a return flight on delta on a daily basis.

JSN
san francisco
Level Contributor
362 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

It's part of the code-share mystery, which airlines don't want us to understand. Essentially you're right, tho, if a Delta crew flies one way, they have to come back, don't they?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

my husband's last trip to the States was with Delta and both ways it was Delta metal.

If Delta only used their own planes to get from the States to Sydney and Virgin to return, there must be a HUGE plane parking area somewhere, just chockers with Delta planes ....... ;-)

As an aside, he wasn't impressed and, even though they were a few hundred $ cheaper than United, he wouldn't fly with them again (going again next month). He is flying economy, though, so it's pretty dire no matter who he flies with ;-0

Edited: 27 June 2012, 20:38
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

i dont think there is a much of a code share mystery here.

if u want to fly the same route but at a different time of the day on a delta ticket then u can take the VA flight.

i agree with your husband, MT.

777s are not my favourite long haul aircraft. very uncomfortable seating in economy.

business is of course another kettle of fish...... i suppose. never had the pleasure!

i willl stick with united economy plus across the pacific.

JSN
san francisco
Level Contributor
362 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

Marmalade, please ask your husband to do some detective work up front on his next trip! Tell him it's for a good cause!

I also have some status with the new United, so need to check on their flights if anyone has any experience with the BizElite.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

Roseyposey is incorrect--if you buy tkt for RT on DL, you can fly Delta metaL RT.

I like 777 BE service for long hauls-I have NOT fllown SYD but I have flown NRT, JNB several times. You will be comfy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

LOL JSN - I'll be conducting my own research 'up front' in September, but with Etihad; flying in First to Abu Dhabi, then business class to Manchester then in First all the way home from Heathrow 7 weeks later. I'm almost counting down the days/minutes till we leave (we being my sister and I).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta lie-flat biz elite seats LAX to Sydney

i said it will most likely be VA metal, which it usually is. DL only fly out of Sydney on a select few days of the week, and it is the 9:50am flight on Wed Thur & Fri.