We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

wales
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

donderer51

wales

reviews: 7

“ BEWARE: Thomas Cook Hand Luggage ”

today, 9:56

Just a note to say "beware". We flew from Cardiff to Cyprus last month with Thomas Cook (flight only as we were going to stay with family). We only took hand luggage as we needed very little and have done this many times, in the past, when flying with Easyjet, HOWEVER, what we didn't realise is that T C not only have a size limit, they also have a weight limit of only 5kilos.We were 1.5kilos over and were charged £60 to put a bag in the hold! We complained to the TC rep as nothing had appeared on screen when we booked and were told "it's somewhere in the terms and conditions but there are pages and pages of them". Next time we'll fly with Easyjet again; they are much more honest about the charges. Needless to say, we left some things behind in Cyprus and weighed our bags carefully!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

The moral of the story - read that small print

It's not as if the allowance is hard to find

https://thomascook.zendesk.com/entries/20147…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

If people can't be bothered to read the terms and conditions of their flight, I doubt they'll be here to read your warning.

The link to your baggage allowance is right on the front page of their website by the way, not hidden away in "pages and pages" of T&C.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

At least the OP didn't start their post with "AVOID!" or "NEVER FLY" :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

We were 1.5kilos over and were charged £60 to put a bag in the hold!

=============

Surely you could have taken 1.5 kilos out and just worn it or put it in pockets?

Also, it is >>very easy<< to see what it is before you fly, if you look to see what it is >>rather than lazily assume what it will be<<, you find it straight away.

Its not "buried in pages and pages"on teh TC website, and indeed all you had to do was google 'Thomas Cook hand baggage allowance' and its the first hit and shown right in the summary, you don't even have to click on the link !

So essentially you couldn't be bothered to look ? Presumably the next step is to expect someone from the airline to come round and pack for you and check its the right weight?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

Joe

"Presumably the next step is to expect someone from the airline to come round and pack for you and check its the right weight?"

LOL - Agree with your comments, can I get somebody from the airlines to pack for me - avoid all those arguements with the wife.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
713 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

To add that it's easy to find both the hold and hand allowence, on the booking for out trip to Mexico not only was it clear on the screen as we booked, but also on all invoices that we sent...plus also on the yourseatyourchoice (if that option is taken) it states you entitlement and the choice to increase hold luggage, not hand.

Last year when we flew out my hand luggage was 6.7 and they asked me to place some items in my case or my gf's (note the op didn't have cases) so they do offer a chance to take weight out of the luggage and not just try to charge

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

I was 1kg over in my hand luggage at Lanzarote, 2 weeks ago, hubby was under, just unzipped the bags, and transfered some stuff to his. sorted

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,243 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

It pays to read about what your booking, before you book it! If it doesn't suit your needs, use another airline. It's not rocket science.

wales
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

Thank you everyone for your sympathy!

I printed out, and took with me, everything that appeared on the TC site when I booked.....no mention of hand luggage weight.

As for using another airline..... that's precisely what I'll do in future.

P.S. Anyone that reads my other posts wil realise that I'm not a habitual complainer, and if this post helps just one other person then it's worth doing.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BEWARE Thomas Cook Hand Luggage

<<and if this post helps just one other person then it's worth doing>>

Seems unlikely, the sort of person that doesn't check what the hand luggage allowance is before flying is hardly likely to look here first !

And its been discussed here as far back as at least FIVE years tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k12353… but it didn't help you >>because you didn't even bother looking<<

Get answers to your questions