We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

Has any one paid to travel on a jump seat or been asked to travel on one before.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

Friends of mine have but they have been off duty air crew or related to air crew and travelling on a standby ticket.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

A regular passenger is prohibited from sitting in a jump seat.

Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

Just to expand on this a little;

A standard passenger who has no relation to a member of the airlines air crew are prohibited from travelling in a Jump Seat.

Some off-duty attendants can travel in a Jump Seat using Deadheading, which is where a member of crew from the same airline travels on that flight in order to get to another destination.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,603 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

Yup - crew only and airline employees only. A friend of mine is a mechanic and he has flown jumpseat in the cockpit many times when commuting to overseas assignments. I'm not even sure if deadheading crew are allowed any more in this "post 9/11 world".

Many aircraft don't have any extra jump seats anyway.

Edited: 10 October 2012, 18:58
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

Hi,

In almost all jurisdictions the use of a jump-seat is restricted-- and that applies to all phases of flight.

Commonly they are restricted to those who hold current Flight Crew certification-- ergo are certified on the use of the emergency exit doors (securing, releasing, opening, etc) -- which means, in most cases, your cabin crew; but depending on airline or region, can also include flight deck personnel as well as management personnel of these two groups.

Travel Safe,

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

Friends of mine have but they have been off duty air crew or related to air crew and travelling on a standby ticket.

=====

Ditto.

Though I once flew in a jump seat in the cockpit ( !!! ) on a flight Southampton - Guernsey. However, this was an unfathomably long time ago before there were rules and regulations about such things, somehow I couldn't quite see it happening today :-)

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

Flight attendant jump seats are normally available to any airline employees who have completed the safety training course with respect to doors and evacuation.Sometimes the office staff can take the course on their days off in order to access the FA jump seat,with the permission of the relevent captain.

Before 9/11,when Gofly supported Macmillan cancer as their company charity,the flight deck jumpseat was regularly auctioned for the landing into some interesting place.Rules were simple.Successful bidder wrote a cheque to Macmillan on the spot,and handed it to the Purser.Some very large cheques were collected.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

When I was 12 I travelled to Chicago on the jump seat. My dad was a 747 flight engineer at the time. My understanding is, since 9/11, this is no longer possible.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

When I was 12 I travelled to Chicago on the jump seat. My dad was a 747 flight engineer at the time. My understanding is, since 9/11, this is no longer possible.

In the UK that is correct.Not the same for FA jumpseats in the cabin though.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight attendant seat (Jump Seat)

I flew in the cockpit jump seat on a turboprop on a flight from London City Airport to Paris CdG way back in 1989. There were just as many passengers as there were crew (4 of each!), so I asked one of the flight attendants shortly after takeoff if there was a chance to sit up front for a bit. She had a quick word with the captain and I was invited to visit the cockpit for a while.

That was definitely my best flight experience ever! Unfortunately, in this day and age, post 9/11, unless I'm paying for the seat time myself, then it's never going to happen again.