We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
198 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

We are booking with Thomson Airways to Mexico and wondered if the £550 they want for the two of us to upgrade to Premium Economy is worth it ????

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

It's personal choice. I'd pay it every time, but I know lot's of people who wouldn't. You know the differences and what you're getting for your money, and only you know whether it's worth it to you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

personaly i dont think so.The leg room in long haul economy is more than enough,some will say different! but my husbands just over 6ft tall,and he was happy.

The extra drinks are you really going to drink hundreds of pounds worth of drinks there and back on your flight<unlikley id say>.SO pay for your drinks if you fly economy?.

And having the extra upgraded film package! you can do this in economy for £5pp each way.

The food, id say it was just as good in economy,thats my personal choice though<some might say different>.

Service Id say very much the same as economy,check in you! get your private check in area at the airport.I SAY arrive that bit earlier and beat the que.

So to sum things up no i wouldnt bother. Pay for your pick your seat that is £30 pp return,because apart from the free drinks,and a little extra legroom it just doesnt warrant the extra price. enjoy your holiday:)

Edited: 16 January 2013, 17:05
Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

Definitely personal choice but I would pay it every time. Great way to start your holiday. The extra baggage and separate check in help too.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

It's on the return flight you will appreciate it most.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

Ive paid it on every holiday since I tried it the first time. As a lot of people say its all dependent on what you feel it is worth to you.

I like to think of it starting my All Inclusive trip a half a day earlier :-)

The seats are wider which if your anything but stick thin is a godsend especially if you get one of the ex Thomson birds with 8 across in economy. The seating on the 787's will be 9 abreast (3-3-3) in economy but only 7 abreast (2-3-2) in premium, so will be much nicer for couples if you can get a pair at the sides.

Also Check in at some of the foreign destinations is not always good experience so have a dedicated lane is appreciated.

romford
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

We will be flying PE for the 3rd time in August and IMO it is worth it just for the extra legroom, private checkin, quieter cabin and extra luggage.

As Morley above has said, it's like starting your holiday half a day earlier!!

gwent
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

It's over £1000 extra for us and the kids not sure it's worth it either I was wondering if the pre booking seats is worth it especially as the holiday cost so much in the first place!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

I would say prebooking seats is worth it for the peace of mind. It will save you worrying about being split up (presuming you would worry). If the children are older and you don't mind if you're not sat together, then it's probably not worth it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

As said above, only you know, if everyone thought it was worth it all the seats would be premium, and if no one, none of them. Are the kids old enough they can sit alone at the back whilst you are at the pointy end?

Ps from what I've read here regards prebooking seats, "adjacent" can mean in front / behind or across the aisle from each other.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 14:30
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Airways to Mexico - worth the upgrade to premium ??

joe

When you prebook seats it's for sitting together, so yes, across an aisle or infront. You need to then go online or ring the airline to select your seat numbers. This is included in the premium upgrade automatically, and also when you pay to prebook seats. Although, as usual, seat numbers are never guaranteed.