We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
27 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

Hi

I have being looking and searching prior to asking, so apologies if this is covered and I have missed it.

Looking at going to Barbados next May, cost difference between Virgin and BA in Premium is £500 in BA's favour.

We flew Virgin PE last year and loved it. What is BA WT+ like? From what I have read it depends on whether that plane has being refitted or not? Would this BA flight have had (or due the refit?)

Just looking for advice, aren't we all :-)

Thanks

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

That price is quite a difference, virgin being more expensive because they have already sold their cheaper tickets, are you flexible at all? To look at different dates? Or have you got any frequent flyer miles from last time that you could use? Ive flown vs but not ba unfortunately so am not able to compare for you.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
27 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

Thanks for your reply. I think one thing I did not mention is that I was looking at booking a flight and hotel package.

Like many I suppose I have loads of airmiles/avios etc etc but they are apread out over loads of schemes. My fault really for looking at deals rather than loyalty. Virgin I have about 30k miles. BA about 20K

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

Virgin do have the advantage that you can upgrade more than one class, I.e you can buy (certain) economy tickets and upgrade to upper.

One way is 25k miles, so you can just about afford it. It will work out cheaper if you upgrade the inbound leg.

BA tend to have slightly more reward availability in my experience.

I find WT+ and Virgin PE to be quite similar. If one is £500 cheaper and your dates are fixed, I would go for it

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

It's a no brainer, save £500 and go with BA while you can get the prices.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

Both airlines are fairly similar, although I prefer BA, I find the staff more professional, Virgin can often come across as a bit 'over friendly'.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
27 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

Many thanks for your replies all, appreciate it :-)

scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

I flew wtp to cancun 2 years ago. Was not really impressed overall. I think they have made improvements since, namely getting same menu as club world instead of economy food. Seat was slightly better than economy seat but not by a great deal. We flew on 777 if that helps.

My best and worst trans atlantic flights were with virgin in economy. Gatwick to Miami on a very new airbus plane was one of the best flights in terms of service and comfort. Orlando to Gatwick on an aging 747 was easily the worst, due to cramped and claustrophobic cabin and some fairly awful turbulence.

Having flown with Thomas cook premium and Thomson/first choice premium on the same route I was expecting BA to be better. In the end id have to say Thomson was the best of the three and Thomas cook by far the worst (probably why they don't do it anymore). BA sat in the middle, when I expected better. Perhaps I expected too much.

One thing I would say in BA's favour is flight crew. I am a very nervous flier and hate night transatlantic flights. When coming back from mexico I asked to speak to the pilot as I had read on a fear of flying website it helps. The pilot was brilliant in helping me, telling me the areas of flight expected to be bumpy and he even came back to check on me during a bit of un expected rough turbulence. Was all a bit embarrassing but very nice of the pilot ad flight crew to help ease my fears.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

I recently flew Virgin PE London to New York - and I would never pay the extra again. The staff on the outbound leg of the flight were rude and incompetent, and on the way back weren't much of an improvement. They were far more interested in having jokes amongst themselves. If I was to extend the budget again, I'd go with BA, I can't imagine it could be any worse!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

The difference is too big I would go with BA and splash out on the extras in Barbados.

10. Re: Barbados - Virgin PE or BA WT+

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:21