We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited Recline a myth?

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Topic
Limited Recline a myth?

I've always wondered about this, mainly for British Airways flights cause this is what I fly with and always prefered the backseats because there isn't anyone to bother at the back and I can recline fully. The legspace in front never bothered me cause well, I can fit my feet under perfectly fine, never really understood the lack of legroom thing cause unless your a giant i've never seen a problem even when the person in front fully reclined, but I digress.

Anyway I remember checking the recline of the seats while on the plane and noticed that even without the wall at the back it would not have been able to go further anyways unless the fixed the recline of the seat itself, i eyeballed the angles of the recline and noticed no visible difference between seats at the back or seats in the middle.

What are you opinions on this?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,591 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited Recline a myth?

I've sat in rows with a bulkhead behind and did notice a lack of recline although it was only a short flight and I wasn't bothered - it will of course vary by airline and/or aircraft.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited Recline a myth?

I flew in the single row business class "cabin" on Emirates between Dubai and Chennai, and there's definitely limited recline - there again, you can put you feet up on the bulhead in front and re-live your teens!

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,070 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited Recline a myth?

I think that it will depend on several factors:

The exact ship being flown.

The seats installed.

The seating configuration that the specific airline has chosen.

We fly many UA domestic (USA) FC configurations, and usually try to get the last row in FC, with the FC/E+ bulkhead behind us. On UA A-319's and A-320's, the recline is reduced by a few degrees, but as we are not talking lie-flats here, a few degrees doesn't matter to us. On UA 737's and 767's, the recline seems to be about the same, as for the row in front of us - still not even close to lie-flats. On UA 2-cabin class 777's, we see no differences, and on 3-cabin class 777's, the BC & FC seats are almost always full lie-flats, so recline is moot.

In UA E+, the Exit Row seats can differ in regards to recline. We seldom mind a bit of a reduced recline, if we can have more legroom in those rows.

On UA short-haul CRJ's and ERJ's, there does seem to be a limited recline (but only by a few degrees) with last-row seats (up against the lavatory (on one side of ship), but we have only flown those a few times, over the last few years - always going for FC in CRJ-700's, or Exit Rows.

While not addressing your more BA-specific question, points out differences across the UA ships. I would anticipate that it would be similar for BA ships.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limited Recline a myth?

Ships? Really?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limited Recline a myth?

^^^ Lol. Bill has a penchant for calling aircraft ships for some odd reason !!

Merry Christmas one and all.

6. Re: Limited Recline a myth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:17