We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General layover time needed

Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
General layover time needed

I am flying to Venice on June 7th from DFW. Most flights that I see on Expedia only show a 50 min layover in Chicago before going to London. Is that enough time?

Also, each lay over going there and coming home have a 1 1/2 hour layover in London. Is that enough time?

I understand that flights can be delayed, etc. I am concerned about that, getting to new terminals, and customs/immigration (when it applies).

Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General layover time needed

Those times are ok because Expedia wouldn't sell flights with these connections if they were below the allowed time (MCT) but as you say, don't leave much time for delays.

Go on the airline site where you should get a wider choice of connection times and can pick something you are more comfortable with. I doubt there will be much difference in price.

Level Contributor
17,577 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General layover time needed

So you're flying DTW-ORD-LHR-Venice? That seems roundabout. I'd think you could get rid of one of the connections, but I guess it might cost more money.

I like a minimum of an hour in Chicago for domestic- int'l. I give my mother 2 hours because she walks slower. For int'l to domestic, I like a minimum of 3 hours as you have to go through immigration, pick up your bags, go through customs, and recheck the bags, then get to another terminal. This assumes Chicago is your 1st US stop.

I don't think you have to go through immigration or customs in LHR if the flights are all on one ticket as you never actually enter the UK.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General layover time needed

What airlines are you using? Just because they meet the MCT doesn't guarantee you will catch your flight, delays are always possible. I would always want more time at a busy airport.

If on one ticket you will be put on the next available flight with space. Not too much of a problem if there are multiple flights a day but not so good if there's only one flight a day.

If you aren't a worrier or have an important connection in Venice go for the short connection but if you need to be there at a certain time or need to arrive home for say work, go for a longer connection.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,468 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General layover time needed

What airlines will make a big difference in the outbound transfer in Chicago. If it's all one airline with no terminal change, 50 minutes is possible if everything is on time, although for an international flight I'd want a lot more as you'll be boarding that flight as soon as you deplane under best circumstances. And if you have to transfer to T5 for the flight, then 50 minutes is lunacy.

I would call 90 minutes in London for a transfer from a US inbound flight to outbound to Europe bare minimum. Heathrow is big and takes a while to get around.

5. Re: General layover time needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:20