We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Club World seats: access

UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
BA Club World seats: access

I apologise for asking what may seem a very boring question. I have looked at all threads here which seemed relevant, and have studied endless photos of the cabin on multiple websites, but I'm not much wiser. If this question is too dull for words, please look away!

I have not flown business class long haul for 13 years, and this is our first time ever with BA (previous long haul business class seats were Qantas, Air Canada, KLM, United and so on, which didn't have this new BA arrangement with the pods / walls / barriers).

I have reserved 17 A and B outbound on the 747-400. Return flight it seems to be a 777, I couldn't get aisle+window so have gone for 10 E and F.

I can't understand how 17A (window) gets in and out of the seat because of the partition; the only route I can imagine is behind 17B, is that right?

Similarly, I still can't figure out how the middle seats (homeward bound) get in/out of there. We walk behind 10D or 10G?

People mention 'stepping over another passenger's legs', when the other passenger is reclined. If this is like stepping over a single bed, I can't imagine how any reasonably fit and not overweight person could do it, especially multiple times? I realise I'll see it soon anyway, it's that big a deal, but I'm kinda restless and will need to get up about every two hours. The flights are ~8 hours. (The other passenger/s will always be strangers and I'm already feeling sorry for them with my restlessness.)

Many thanks for polite and informative replies.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA Club World seats: access

"I can't understand how 17A (window) gets in and out of the seat because of the partition; the only route I can imagine is behind 17B, is that right?" - Yes

"Similarly, I still can't figure out how the middle seats (homeward bound) get in/out of there. We walk behind 10D or 10G?" - Correct

"People mention 'stepping over another passenger's legs', when the other passenger is reclined. If this is like stepping over a single bed," - You might need to step over another passenger, for example if on the 777 and seated in 10E the exit route is behind 10D but the passenger in 11D could be fully reclined using the leg rest attached to the back of seat 10D meaning you need to step over them.

The lack of direct aisle access without having to step over other passengers is in my opinion a drawback to the BA Club seating configuration but I guess it allows them to fit the maximum number of seats in the cabin.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA Club World seats: access

Tom has it. But if you;re on the aisle and want to sleep while the window passenger wants up every two hours you're gonna be p'd off as the only way out is over your legs.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA Club World seats: access

In short, unless you are in an aisle seat, you will need to step over the legs of someone else if they are reclined. The seat portion lowers as it extend to form the bed. It meets up with a separate, manually operated, footstool which drops down from vertical and is adjustable for height. At that point however, the whole thing is only 18" or so off the floor, so I've never had a problem stepping over a neighbour's legs. Imagine a low, narrow coffee table rather than a single bed, if you will ! I suppose you might have a problem is you have particularly short legs or are less mobile.

The middle pairs are great for couples but I wouldn't recommend them for a solo traveller. You could wake up face to face with a stranger !

I hope that makes sense. There are plenty of videos on YouTube etc which will make this clearer.

I like Club World but some people prefer newer generation seats on other carriers where effectively everyone has direct aisle access. Each to their own.

Finally, try to get upper deck seats on the 747 if any are available when you check-in online. It's a much more exclusive experience than downstairs or on the 777.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 16:38
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA Club World seats: access

The middle pairs are great for couples but I wouldn't recommend them for a solo traveller. You could wake up face to face with a stranger !

======

You could anyway because every seat faces one other one.

I dont like the face to face aspect, always try and get a window/aisle pair when traveling as a couple.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 16:44
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,770 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA Club World seats: access

Yes, the rear facing passengers - window or on the inside, will have to step over somebody's legs, if that person has set their seat up in the sleeping position, for most of those seats and equivalent seats on the BA yin yang layout. The only exception is the last row of each cabin or section, where you can get out without any legs to step over. However, the seats aren't as wide as a full bed, in fact at the leg area, the bed is quite narrow. I'm less than 5ft tall, and while not superfit, pretty agile. I manage to step over the sleep passenger without waking them, should I need a visit to the loo or a leg stretch on an overnight flight.

I've yet to find a perfect aircraft layout for business class, when you travel as a couple. This is the disadvantage on the BA layout, but at least, during waking hours I can face and easily chat to DH. Most other airline layouts prevent this completely.

SWT

Edited: 19 May 2014, 16:54
UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA Club World seats: access

<<In short, unless you are in an aisle seat, you will need to step over the legs of someone else if they are reclined. The seat portion lowers as it extend to form the bed. It meets up with a separate, manually operated, footstool which drops down from vertical and is adjustable for height. At that point however, the whole thing is only 18" or so off the floor, so I've never had a problem stepping over a neighbour's legs. Imagine a low, narrow coffee table rather than a single bed, if you will ! I suppose you might have a problem is you have particularly short legs or are less mobile.

I hope that makes sense. There are plenty of videos on YouTube etc which will make this clearer.>>

This is a great explanation which makes sense to me, thank you.

18" off the floor sounds manageable, as does low narrow coffee table.

I'll try to find a You Tube video.

many many thanks Sharp5

ETA: there were no pairs of seats left on the upper deck when I went to make the £60 each reservations.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 17:09
UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA Club World seats: access

<< However, the seats aren't as wide as a full bed, in fact at the leg area, the bed is quite narrow. I'm less than 5ft tall, and while not superfit, pretty agile. I manage to step over the sleep passenger without waking them, should I need a visit to the loo or a leg stretch on an overnight flight.>>

This is good information too, Sussex. Many thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA Club World seats: access

I've now had a good look round you tube but can't find anything which shows people getting into and out of their club world seats. All I found were promotional videos and amateur pans around the cabin.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,218 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA Club World seats: access

I personally don't find climbing over somebody a big deal based on BA's layout. The seat lies relatively low to the ground so it's not like you have to be some sort of world class hurdler to get out. When traveling solo, I prefer the window seat in this case since I have the benefit of privacy while still getting aisle seat access. Traveling in pairs, I would still choose the window/aisle side combination instead of the middle seats. The middle seats just feel cramped psychologically since you will be in the middle of everything and directly facing some unknown stranger.

BA has a good product here. The only drawback is that the seat is narrower than the newer pods popular with other airlines these days so bigger folks might find shoulder room limited when trying to sleep.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,604 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA Club World seats: access

As one who always chooses an aisle seat I am (when not in 63J) the person stepped over rather than the stepper. I can't think of a time when the person stepping over has been either noticeable or bothersome, it's always been a non issue.

Just my 2p.

Get answers to your questions