We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United from Dulles to San Diego

Virginia
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
United from Dulles to San Diego

In looking at the route map for United from Dulles to San Diego it appears that the plane flies directly over the Grand Canyon. Does anyone know which side of the plane has a view of it or if sitting directly on the wing (Row 22 on an A320) would offer a view of the canyon in either direction?

DC
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: United from Dulles to San Diego

The exact route will vary day to day, so there's no way to tell. I flew IAD-LAX yesterday. We would normally fly just south of the canyon, so you'd see it from the right-side seats, but not yesterday.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United from Dulles to San Diego

The map is not an exact representation of the route they'll take on any day, much less all days. It is just a general representation to show the locations they serve. Flightaware.com may give a better idea for recent flights but, as noted, the exact route varies by day, and they cannot always fly even near the GC. Safety comes first. Years ago, two airliners collided over the GC. In general, I'd say whatever side of the plane I'm not on will be closest to the GC. I used to fly fairly often between Washington, DC and LA, and I think I caught a quick glance of the GC once. If I had to guess, I'd guess the right hand side of the plane would be best, but don't bank on it. Be happy with a smooth, uneventful flight.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 19:36
Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: United from Dulles to San Diego

Well, you could go back to the tail of plane, usually there is some standing room in the galley with port holes to look out either sides.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United from Dulles to San Diego

I flew IAD-LAX a few months back and saw it out of the left side of the plane! Given my experience on this route I'd say it doesn't really make much difference.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 20:48
Virginia
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United from Dulles to San Diego

Thanks! I was reviewing our seat assignments and the thought came to mind. I guess the real question is how uncomfortable United's new seats will be - from what I've read they're not great. First world problem. :-P

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,150 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United from Dulles to San Diego

Oh yeah, the seats on these new planes are terrible. And the arm rests are so puny that they kind of poke you if you try to lean on them. I've flown on a couple of the brand new planes lately and while they do feel more airy and spacious, they are more uncomfortable than the old planes and I was really amazed to find that there weren't any USB ports anywhere to be found in economy plus. Who builds a new plane with no place for people to plug in electronics? Lame.

Cambridge,UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United from Dulles to San Diego

Ask a Flight Attendant when you board if the skipper can give out message on PA should you be flying over it, I`m sure they`ll do this if you ask. As others have said routing may not be close-ish.. ( You are normally guaranteed a view Phoenix- Las Vegas and vv and Southwest crews have pointed it out before......doesn`t help you on your flight I know but best of luck !! ).

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United from Dulles to San Diego

Best to not expect to see the GC, and if you do, great.

9. Re: United from Dulles to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions